Chicken attacked by raccoon, shock (warning graphic pictures)

Pics
She still has such bright eyes. Full of life. She's still sparkling bright 🌞
Especially going thru this at her old age, turning 9 this spring. I gave her sunflower seeds and meal worms and she was all over it eating them up. I feel bad keeping her cooped up and so it was nice to see her having fun eating the treats. She is such a strong chicken I most likely will never get this smart chicken in the future. Very unique and smart. I still cannot figure out how she got away from the coon. She must of fought like crazy. to lose my other two chickens that were four years old didn't make it which I miss them and feel horrible I couldn't keep them safe. And amazing the youngest less thean one year old got away from the coon. I am happy to have her doing so well but still feel like a failure loosing the other two.

310631973_5469733336397198_4093551831343303496_n.jpg

This is when she was a foster parent, to the one of the two that I lost, recently. She loved them so much. I wish I bred her to keep her good DNA. Due to her being the Alpha I just saw having a rooster would have changed the harmony in the coop.

Today, i have the other two healthy chickens in my garage in a dog cage. I decided to bring Spots out there when I was cleaning the cage. I thought it was important for her to be with the flock I still have. I let them run the garage. She immediately was very territorial and kept attacking the two young ones. They were scared of her. She didn't back down. I am guessing this behaver is keeping her alpha over these two. Was very interesting watching she did not show any weakness and the other two were scared of her. They kept running to me. They went into the cage, and she followed and continued to harass them and chased them out of the cage. Her head looks great. Alot of the dried blood fell off and her head is just red now. Her behavior might be due to her being injured or she is demonstrated she is still the top alpha of them. I have pictures and will post them.

337421238_228953766309551_475598014202216072_n.jpg

I did this as she has been so isolated. I thought it would be good for her to be with the flock for a short period. After wards, I could tell she was tired gave her favorite treats and she did get up and ate the treats. I feel bad but at the same time that giving her time with the two chickens. She was very dominating. at the same time, it could have been due to being injured or she was still showing her domination of the flock. Just learning all this stuff.

Last edited:
Spots is not going to give up her spot anytime soon!

Are the other 2 the only other ones in the flock? You have just the 3 girls? If so, then she just let them know she's alive and well and is still in that top SPOT:)

Sounds like she had a good day even though she was a bit worn out afterward.

Spots is not going to give up her spot anytime soon!

Are the other 2 the only other ones in the flock? You have just the 3 girls? If so, then she just let them know she's alive and well and is still in that top SPOT:)

Sounds like she had a good day even though she was a bit worn out afterward.
I originally had five chickens. Lost the two four-year-olds, that Spots raised. Down to just three. I think I will keep bringing her in with the other two when I clean for a few days. I am still working on the coop to be sure is safe. I do have a separate area for Spots out there that I can close off from the other two that will turn one year old this spring. Our weather still gets cold at night in the twenties but goes up to 40 during the day. Not sure if she is ready to be in the coop yet. Would be nice to put them together at once. Worried if this would be smart, to let them adjust with her. Her head is still healing but looks better each day. Most dried blood is gone and showing the pink/red coloring.

I have to explain she was ruthless with the other chickens, scared them as they kept running from her as well going into the dog temp coop and chasing them relentlessly.

Tonight, I brought her out to the two chickens again cleaning the dog cage. Was a lot better. She wasn't attacking the two chickens as bad. They did give respect and kept away from her (Spots).

Back
Top Bottom