Chicken attacked by raccoon, shock (warning graphic pictures)

Sorry never heard of mackerel, please provide info, is this from a farm store?
Mackerel and sardines are at the grocery store and walmart, dollar tree may have it
Screenshot_20230308_144857_Walmart.jpg

I just cleaned the dog pen for my surviving chickens with no injury. One just laid an egg. They are very tired of being cooped up in the dog pen. I just keep telling them it is better than being killed by the coon. My Spots, is doing better and running around a lot. I did trim a few things from her face, She didn't like it. There was one clumpy feather over her eye that blocked her vision, I cut and a few around her face. I noticed a clump on her side of neck but she wouldn't let me touch anything else. Little at a time the ones on her side look to be attached and not bloody but makes her lean her head more away from them to the stripped side of her neck. Also she does have some clump of feathers below her neck towards her chest which I will address when the time is right. Like I said one day at a time. Looking at her beak this morning she did eat on the wet food I offered and left for her. So she is starting to eat on her own. I am so glad as this syringe feeding is time consuming, but I love her so I really don't mind. She keeps dumping the water I provide which is a normal chicken thing. I am going to use a different water dish so not so easy to dump.

She is acting like a chicken again running around found my bucket of her regular dry feed bucket and eating from it. So I gave her a lower dish and added some sunflower seeds as her favorite treat, she must not like the wet feed anymore. I haven't checked the chicken coop yet to see if I caught the coon yet.

My chicken is looking good this morning her head is turning dark, I am guessing the blood we couldn't first see is drying. I also noticed her away from the base heater. She isn't liking the direct heat. She did come from freezing temps so I turned the heat down. I had it at 80. I will lower each day until she stops trying to get away from it. Haven't checked my trap today. Hopefully I will catch this coon.

My chicken is looking good this morning her head is turning dark, I am guessing the blood we couldn't first see is drying. I also noticed her away from the base heater. She isn't liking the direct heat. She did come from freezing temps so I turned the heat down. I had it at 80. I will lower each day until she stops trying to get away from it. Haven't checked my trap today. Hopefully I will catch this coon.
I have to add I did check the trap yesterday and tested it that it seems set okay. All looks good. Fortunately, we are having a snowstorm so haven't checked yet. This weekend I will be going thru and securing the coop and run. My husband just told me he bought an electric fence set up. About four years ago and forgot to tell me. He actually bought it for our pasture. I am like are you kidding me. Anyway, I have no Idea where to install as I suspect the coon is getting on the roof. The access to the roof could be from our storage areas next to the coop which the electric fence won't help. Have to evaluate this weekend.

Pleased to read your hen is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom