Chicken Babysits Broody's Nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hedwig Chicken, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    I don't think so, they are very good friends and all the eggs are intact. Nugget is much smaller than Ginny too, so she generally just hurry out of her way when she arrives.

2. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    We don't have a rooster either, so we just bought her fertilized eggs. I candled them on day 14 and 8 eggs out of 10 were moving! The other two weren't even fertilized.

Sitting on eggs must be a really lame hobby...

She must a lucky momma if she gets a free babysitter. :jumpy

3. JMotuzick

JMotuzick Songster

Oct 31, 2017
    Northwest Connecticut
    Either way keep us updated! Very cool to hear stories like this. If one of our goes broody I might let her do her thing. But I don’t want to get a incubator candling etc. I’m guessing I’ll need to separate them from the rest of the flock once they hatch though....

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    I will definitely update all of this. This is my 2nd time with fertilized eggs. Frist time, I made and incubator myself and 7 little chick's hatched out of 18. 6 were boys though...
    They are scheduled to hatch around New Year's Eve. I'm waiting to see if my broody will be more successful.

5. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    I had a couple of hens go broody at the same time and they would share the time sitting on the eggs. When the chicks hatched, they co-parented for two days...and then WW3 broke out. They just snapped and started fighting and wouldn't stop until separated. I ended up having to give one of the hens away so the other one could rear the chicks in peace. :(

6. JMotuzick

JMotuzick Songster

Oct 31, 2017
    Northwest Connecticut

Im not sure how many hatched but why not split the “littler”? 2 coops 2 small flicks and once they got to about 4/6 weeks mix them up again? I’m fairly new to chicks so maybe I’m wrong in saying to do this?

7. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    There were only two chicks and I considered giving them one each but didn't have enough space to keep them separate from each other as well as the rest of the flock. It was sad because they were raised together and were best friends/sisters for a long time until the chicks hatched. After that, worst enemies. I know many people have hens who mothered chicks together happily but I would never let any of mine try it again.

8. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    This is the two girls before war broke out:

Attached Files:

9. JMotuzick

JMotuzick Songster

Oct 31, 2017
    Northwest Connecticut

Ok so keep the one with the flock and let Moma have the 2 chicks. Re Intorduce in 4-6? Half of this is me learning not telling you how to raise your flock!

10. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    Poor you. :( I don't think Nugget is broody, just nest sitting. Chickens can be strange though...:confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: