Chicken bath “recipes”

Roostie

Chirping
May 1, 2019
Northern lower Michigan
Hey guys,

So my chickens have some kind of mites right now (they get them almost every year) and I’ve dusted them with some chicken permethrin but they still need a bath. I caught the mites early so they aren’t that bad right now so please don’t assume I’m under reacting cause I know how bad they can get but I examine my chickens often so if something is wrong I catch it right from the get go!
Anyyywayyy... I was wondering what you guys bath your chickens with and what works for you! Thanks:D!!!

-Roostie

P.S. yes, I know I have bad grammar lol:rolleyes:

Hey guys,

So my chickens have some kind of mites right now (they get them almost every year) and I’ve dusted them with some chicken permethrin but they still need a bath. I caught the mites early so they aren’t that bad right now so please don’t assume I’m under reacting cause I know how bad they can get but I examine my chickens often so if something is wrong I catch it right from the get go!
Anyyywayyy... I was wondering what you guys bath your chickens with and what works for you! Thanks:D!!!

-Roostie

Is the bath to help remove the mites? Photos?
If you used Permethrin dust, then a bath would wash it off. I think I would just make a nice dust bathing area available to them.

image.jpg
Is the bath to help remove the mites? Photos?
If you used Permethrin dust, then a bath would wash it off. I think I would just make a nice dust bathing area available to them.
Yes the bath is to help get rid of the mites and also to get them all clean for fair and to get the chicken I’m taking to fair un broody lol! Whenever I mess with one of their dusting holes they don’t dust in it anymore lol! Also they are completely free range and they have plenty to choose from already. Anyyywayyy here’s some pictures... oh I guess it went up to the top lol but that’s around her vent and those are the eggs sorry the pic is really blurry but yeah.

-Roostie

I see. You may find the link below helpful or post on the exhibition threads.
My understanding is the lice eggs can be hard to remove, you may need to apply something like coconut oil to those and gradually work those off - not sure how much damage it would do to the feathers. How long before your show?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/washing-chickens.1323563/

Hey guys,

-Roostie

mix some dry dust with a some diatomaceous earth!!!! works every time. and if you feel the need you can add some extra fine pure playbox sand!!! look up if you want mesurements! i hope you get rid of them!

"Nonprescription Lice Shampoo. Every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment of head lice has been approved by the FDA and contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). Both are effective and are considered the first line of treatment. Both only kill live lice, not nits.

I see. You may find the link below helpful or post on the exhibition threads.
My understanding is the lice eggs can be hard to remove, you may need to apply something like coconut oil to those and gradually work those off - not sure how much damage it would do to the feathers. How long before your show?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/washing-chickens.1323563/
Thank you I will check that link out! We washed the chickens about a week ago with warm water and some sort of soap I forget the kind right now but it seems to have worked! My chickens are mite free!(for now) and hopefully they will stay clean for the 4-H fair in a couple weeks! Thanks all for your comments!

-Roostie

Back
Top Bottom