Chicken being bullied

Hi @Samroo do you have any updates? Did the weird noises and attacks ever end?
My chickens are going through the same thing. Clover will make this weird noise, and then Annabelle will run over and peck her and drive her away from the flock. Not to blame the victim, but Clover seems to be instigating the attacks by making this noise! It’s driving me crazy and I want them to stop it already. It’s been going on for about a week. I welcome any advice you may have!

My chickens are going through the same thing. Clover will make this weird noise, and then Annabelle will run over and peck her and drive her away from the flock. Not to blame the victim, but Clover seems to be instigating the attacks by making this noise! It’s driving me crazy and I want them to stop it already. It’s been going on for about a week. I welcome any advice you may have!
Definitely she is in the broader mode. She is sitting on the eggs now and we are trying to keep her from doing so, without much success. The other hens still are bothering her because she runs around chirping and clucking driving them crazy. We are waiting to see if she stops in about another week after her natural window of time expires in sitting on the eggs. Will let you know how it ends.

She is definitely in broody mode. We are waiting for her time to expire in about another week, but are trying to keep her off the nest and keep her alive from running around clucking and chirping driving the others crazy. Will update on how it ends, maybe with chicken stew...that was mean.

Is your run just one, big, open rectangle so that all the chickens can see each other all the time?

If so, you probably want to add clutter to break up the line of sight and give chickens the ability to hide from each other (which is one of the ways a subordinate bird shows proper respect for a dominant bird).

Read this thread for ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/#post-21588571
Yes, but has the chicken coop in the middle, but can still see everywhere.

That would be great.
Vids need to be uploaded to youtube or similar platform, then past a link here.
Wondering if she's going broody and is making the broody ticking time bomb sound.
She is definitely broody mode, she is now sitting on the nest almost all day. We try and keep her off when we can and make her roost at night outside the coop with the others.

She is definitely broody mode, she is now sitting on the nest almost all day. We try and keep her off when we can and make her roost at night outside the coop with the others.
Wish there'd been an update sooner. So we could've recommended a broody breaker, then she'd be done by now and peace would be returned to the flock.

For future reference:
Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

Is your run just one, big, open rectangle so that all the chickens can see each other all the time?

If so, you probably want to add clutter to break up the line of sight and give chickens the ability to hide from each other (which is one of the ways a subordinate bird shows proper respect for a dominant bird).

Read this thread for ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/#post-21588571
I didn't know that about hiding showing respect......I am adding some new hens to my tiny flock and whilst they have spent time in the same area I have a couple being quite mean. Plenty of hiding places and lots of space though.....thanks

They don't need to be out of sight, tho it can help, but at least being able to get a good 6' away usually shows enough subordination for the dominant bird to be satisfied.
They seem to be escaping the worst of it.....interestingly today they were a little closer on and off to the main flock. I also have some babies who have their own space within the main enclosure....so an interesting few weeks ahead. Always something to learn:))

Back
Top Bottom