Chicken bit in the head by racoon, alive, well but egg color changed

Knight Chicks

Hatching
Jun 7, 2017
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read this. My sweet Lucy - a fog horn leghorn chicken - was attacked by a raccoon on Sunday night. She is recovering inside the house and has not stopped laying eggs. The weird thing is, her eggs have always been tan - not dark brown but tan. Her sister chicken eggs are slightly darker. Her eggs as of Monday - hours after the attack, are virtually white. This is very odd. Are they safe to eat?

I don't believe the raccoon had rabies because it was night, and he was scared of me and my husband. The local feed and seed had never heard of this happening before.

Thank you for your help. Love our little Lucy!

I'm in no way a chicken expert, or a rabies expert either, however I would mention this incident to your family doctor, as a raccoon doesn't have to be showing symptoms of rabies to be capable of transmitting rabies.

And while it is very very rare for any bird to be infected by rabies, I would worry for you and your husband if you were handling the wounded chicken (and possibly getting racoon saliva on yourself)

My dad had a friend growing up who ended up dying because he took in three orphaned baby raccoons. They were friendly and playful, and he had no idea that they were infected with rabies. By the time he found out it was too late.

I don't want to worry you, and really, chances are slim, but I would mention it to your Doctor anyways, it's better to be safe than sorry!

I hope your sweet little Chicky pulls through alright!

Well you have a very sad story and the saddest part is you all could not prevent it.
Did the raccoon come into the chicken house?
FIRST AND FOREMOST: ALWAYS PUT PLASTIC GLOVES ON TO DOCTOR A WOUNDED OR SICK CHICKEN.
also DO NOT WEAR THE BARNYARD CLOTHES IN THE HOUSE CHANGE ON THE ORCH, AND WASH THEM BEFORE USING AGAIN. tHIS IS VERY IMPORTAN TO YOU AND OUR FAMILIES HEALTH.
Any ways you need help with keeping her body normal.
(1) the reason the egg lost color is due to her system being in sudden shock.
(2) she will need calcium to restart her egg shell color.
(3) So here is what I would do.
(A) Take a VitaminB tablet and crush it up and take a few drops of water to dissolve it in a pint of water.
(A-2) put the crushed Vit B Complex tablet in the pint of water
(A_3) Take a Selinum tablet Crushed and dissolve in the pint of water.
And if you can go out and shake the pint of water several times a day
(A-4) Take a calcium tablet and crush it in tbsp. also and put in water, shake vigorously to dissolve all the vitamins in the water.
(4) Put this in her water every day till she is well.
(5) the Vitamins will help her system get over the shock.
(6) Because the shock of the attack has cased the hens internal system to have E.Coli now.
(7) Well my advise is this, I have helped many people to save injured and sick chickens with my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE.
(8) If she is eating do that and you can mix the vitamins in the wet mash and she should eat it in 30 minutes.
(9) hopefully this will bring hope to you.
(10) Last and most important is keep her hydrated. If she stops drinking then take a syringe wi out the needle and put the vitamin water in the back of the mouth. If it is so you an use the syringe carefully the needle will have to be to the back of the throat
Thus I would use a needleless syrnge to do this part of the job.

Last edited:
Glenda Heywood
· [URL='https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=228614984300222&id=100014551661422&match=d2V0IG1hc2ggcHJvYmlvdGljIHJlY2lwZSxnbGVuZGEgaGV5d29vZCxwcm9iaW90aWMsaGV5d29vZCxyZWNpcGUsZ2xlbmRhLG1hc2gsd2V0']June 3 at 8:59am ·
checkmarkcaution-solid
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR CHICKENS WITH ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS
Glenda Heywood

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.
ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)

My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE UNPASTURIZED ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2 CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD MORE MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.

(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.

(J I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.

(K) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed

(L) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,

(M) NOW IF THE CHICKEN IS SICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE

(N) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(O) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash

(P) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(Q) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days

(R) now feed it 5 times for second week.

(S) then 2 times a week for life

(T) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS

(1) A NOTE HERE IS ABOUT WHEN CHICKENS HAVE COCCIDIOSIS YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL THEY ARE OFF THE MEDICATION AT THE END OF 7 DAYS TO GIVE THE VITAMIS BECAUSE OF THIS FACT:
(2) IE::
Amprolium interferes with the coccidia oocyst’s ability to metabolise vitamin B so you may need to provide your chickens with a vitamin B supplement following treatment – but don’t give them this during treatment as you might render it ineffective.
[/URL]

I think perhaps you have been falsely attributing someone else's tan eggs to her. Leghorn eggs are white and will not change colour. If you have not had a white egg up until now it is either that she hadn't started laying until now or much more likely,she has a secret nest somewhere.... in my experience, leghorns are terrors for laying in secret nests. If you are concerned about eating her eggs, scramble it and feed it back to her (at least until you can be sure she has not contracted rabies). It will help her to recover from her ordeal.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm sad to know her comb won't grow back. She is doing well in the house. She has started laying brown eggs again. They are her usual light brown/ tan color. She only laid thec2 white eggs just after the attack.

Back
Top Bottom