Severly attacked by racoon but still alive

Ssan

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2021
Hi,

It seems that a racoon got into our coop and attacked one of our hen's. We found a bunch of feathers in the coop Sunday morning and our girl Scarlett is extremely injured. The top part of her head is gone - her crown, and both her eyes and part of her top beak. When we found her she was sitting in the nesting area and later moved to the middle of our coop. I called all the vets/hospitals in our surrounding area and due to the long weekend most places were either closed or they do not deal with chickens as we wanted to get her euthanized bc we thought she wouldn't make it. We didn't think she would make it through the night but she is still alive and breathing and moving around. I do not know what to do. Please help, our other hen died from fly strike last month and now this. My heart is broken. Can she still live a fulfilling life? Can I give her pain medication? like Tylenol. I don't know what to do! Desperate for some advice.

We are very accustomed to graphic wound pictures, it's OK. You can edit your title to say there are graphic photos if you want. Sometimes it's really necessary to be able to see it in order to give good advice. If she's lost both eyes then she will very much be special needs for the rest of her life, that is entirely a choice up to you, whether that is something you can and will be able to take care of long term. Some people do have blind birds, but it will be an entirely different thing than keeping a sighted bird. I'm so sorry.

With a missing top beak, both eyes , and her comb, I would probably put her down. The quickest way for me is to remove the head with an ax or loppers, or to cut the jugular veins on each side of the neck. It is never easy, but we must learn to do this to keep them from suffering. So sorry about your chicken.

We are very accustomed to graphic wound pictures, it's OK. You can edit your title to say there are graphic photos if you want. Sometimes it's really necessary to be able to see it in order to give good advice. If she's lost both eyes then she will very much be special needs for the rest of her life, that is entirely a choice up to you, whether that is something you can and will be able to take care of long term. Some people do have blind birds, but it will be an entirely different thing than keeping a sighted bird.
Our girl Scarlett died this morning at 4am in her sleep. We have one last hen left, do you think we should find another flock for her to integrate to? or keep her?

Back
Top Bottom