Chicken blind in one eye

So its been about 36 hours since removal. This is what the eye looks like before a flush and before application of the salve. She is definitely acting better. She seems to be eating better too. I need her to put on weight as I feel for that week with the infection, she lost a good bit by not eating much.

There is still some swelling but I'm fairly certain I injured her on my first attempt.

Attachments

• 20220705_175458.jpg
    20220705_175458.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220705_175454.jpg
    20220705_175454.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220705_175256.jpg
    20220705_175256.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220705_175249.jpg
    20220705_175249.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220705_175245.jpg
    20220705_175245.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 2
Also mine doesn't look anything like the ones I see on video. Her eye is not near that swollen and my is more like a cover than a large mass that you can pull out. I don't know how far under there her eye is.
Did your chicken recover from the eye infection? A week and a half ago I noticed the very same thing you saw, it just looked like white or yellow where the eyeball should’ve been. I was for sure someone had pecked her eye out. I found an avian vet an hour and 15 minutes away and they got me in there the next morning. The vet said it was definitely an eye infection and she flushed it first and picked out most of the infection. She said she had to leave a little bit because it was attached really hard to the eyeball. I was not there when she did it, they took her in the back room and she said she should have used anesthesia because it was definitely painful. She ended up giving me a tiny tube of prescription gel and a tiny bottle of drops that she said would help with the inflammation and swelling . She was going to prescribe Tylan for the antibiotic but I told her I had the powder kind that goes in the water and she said that was fine to use. She is eating and drinking so I was able to use that. She said to keep separated for two weeks. Two days ago, after a whole week of treating twice a day as she said her right eye is now closed and very swollen. It takes my husband and I both to put in the gel and the drops morning and night. I can’t afford to take her back to the vet, it was almost $200 and like I said over an hour away. I’m wondering if I should try to get some saline and just rinse both out after the m da run out. I am seeing something that looks like pus in there still. I cannot afford another $200 plus an hour drive to take her back.

I don't think we have chicken vets around. I have no problems trying it myself. I just need some instruction. When you say, "clean it out", how do you mean? With a q-tip or something? I don't want to injure her more. I can probably get the eye ointment from TS over the weekend.
A q tip would work. That's what I used after the vet sent us home to prevent pus from building up again. The vet had some fancy shmancy tool.

So here is what I don't get. I tried using a qtip but it just rubs on the eye. I'm not sure how to remove it. My experience with pus on a sore is that you have to have an exit point and you apply pressure. How would I do that with an eye?
Chicken pus is hard. Some folks describe it as having a cheesy consistency. Think of scraping it off the surface of the eye.

The vet actually used what looked like a tiny wire loop with a handle to scrape off the pus.

Also mine doesn't look anything like the ones I see on video. Her eye is not near that swollen and my is more like a cover than a large mass that you can pull out. I don't know how far under there her eye is.
I've seen posts where the eye is completely white, but I can't find them now. I see what you mean, though. I wouldn't want to continue, either. It might be under the cornea. Yucky. I'd be concerned the infection would spread.

My little one's eye was hugely swollen. Like, just massive. But her eye was completely white. Even though the treatment killed the infection, she lost use of her eye. I hope it improves.

Lemme rag some folks who might offer better suggestions.

@azygous
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

So you don't think I damaged the eye? I swear I was being extra gentle but when I started seeing the black I thought I was getting into her eye.

I don't understand about wiping the pus off. It does not wipe off. It seems firmly attached. Is there something that could loosen it or do I just keep wiping? Also there seemed to be a film like membrane on top. Is that normal over the pus pocket? I was concerned it was her cornea. What tools should I have besides cotton balls? Tweezers? Forceps?

Pressing the area around the eye does not seem to push anything. I wish it did. That would make me feel confident that I'm in the right place. She has swelling but it is minimal compared to all the videos that showed the eye the size of a marble.

Also is there some sort of sedative I could give her? Whiskey? Anything. I am not squimish about it but I am sensitive to her pain. I think if she were somewhat sedated I would work better. Sorry for all the questions but after the last round I want to go in confident and get a one and done.

Back
Top Bottom