Chicken blood is like jelly??????

She got put down, but I've gone out there today and a healthy big laying chicken had the same thing, I'm stuck in what to do, do you know if it is spreading? I'm stuck in what to do my partner says that she is happy and doesn't need to be taken to the vets but it looks worse! I can't get a photo as she is to fast and I can't take one on my own but it's more bloody than last time.. I'm shocked and don't know what to do
What are the symptoms,are you referring to blood in poop? If so,i would suggest treating for Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,some symptoms are : runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. Coccidiosis is spread by droppings which get into feed water via droppings,but can also be spread by wild birds/bringing new birds into flock/our own clothes/hands/shoes/feed utensils,etc.

In some countries it is called Corid(amprolium) or Amprol(amprolium)comes in either a 9.6% liquid or 20% powder solution,but i believe where you live it may be called Coxoid(amprolium) 3.84% liquid.

Coccidiosis is the leading cause of death among chicks,but can also affect birds of any age,cocci can kill very fast,depending on the strain.

Last edited:
Last time there was blood in the poo, i couldnt get the best look as she has loads of bum feathers but it's red swollen, looks scabbed like before and there is blood stained feathers around the area

The poo sometimes is a yellowy runny colour but this is usually with our guinea fowls, they eat and drink fine there is 10 of them, 1 rooster, 2 male guinea fowls, 3 female, and 4 female chickens.

They all slightly have symptoms of a respiratory infection the one that had to be put down had bubbles on the eye, wheezes, sneezing, stretching neck out,runny nose.. She was prescribed baysril? But it did nothing, but this was a week before the bum problem

If the baytril did not help it's likely it is a virus. With a virus antibiotics won't kill a virus. They can help prevent a secondary illness that often accompanies a virus though. Did they have their full course of the Baytril? Sadly a lot of times with a virus depending on the nature of the illness, if the bird does survive it can become a carrier of that virus and infect other birds with it. Is there any way you can get a bird tested to find out the exact nature of the virus and what your dealing with? How long has it been since you tried the baytril and for how long was it given? Baytril is usually a very good antibotic. But like I said if what they have is viral the antibiotics won't work on a virus, sadly. I hope this helps a bit. This is likely why the Baytril did not work.

Well it was the one that was put down that had it for the respiratory infection 0.4mls a day and that was just until it run out but on about the 6-8th day we noticed the bum problem and she was put on 0.9mls of baytril and 0.4mls of metacam ( anti inflammatory and pain relief) and she was given 5 days to improve in which she didn't so she had to be put down

Is this the right stuff 10 chicks?

10 chicks could the parasitic infection caused the ulceration?
Yes,coccidiostat(Coxoid) you posted above is correct stuff.

If you are asking if ulcers can be a result of cocci infection,it would be possible if other chickens had seen any blood from vent,no matter how small of an amount they would definitely start pecking/picking at vent area,which could result in an infection,which could result in ulcers. Also with coccidiosis,there can also be other medical issues due to the fact that the birds immune system has been compromised,which leaves them open to other illnesses setting in.

It is possible that a staph infection/fungal infection/viral infection or even cancer can cause ulcers in the skin. If i had to guess,i would say in her case it is either a result of a staph infection from a wound or a fungal infection. Which has she been treated for? Ulcers do take a long time to heal,week/months,the key is keeping clean and debridement of dead tissue,and trying to keep animal off infected area(not sitting,etc).

I have the stuff ordered and it's on fast delivery should arrive on or before the 3rd of March, they have never been wormed so it it a possibility that worms are a cause? ( they are my partners dads, after a divorce both of his parents refused to care for them so me and my partner took on the responsibility ) there are rats under the shed that they sleep in and the conditions were filthy were the poo was never scrapped up, could the rats have something to do with it, we have poison and traps down

Back
Top Bottom