Chicken book recommendation?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicamama03, May 27, 2011.

1. chicamama03

chicamama03 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    what is your favorite overall chicken raising book? Particularly, with a good section on broody hens and incubating?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
  3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Well, I just bought my son the book called, Raising chickens...a kid's guide to raising and showing Since we are originally city folks, this chicken thing is all new to us. So when my son went to sleep, I couldn't help but go get his book and read it. It is a very good book for 10+ years old, obviously, an easy to read book for adults if you are looking for something to start with without being overwhelmed.

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
  6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Just thought of something....my mom is notorious for being "thrifty" we'll call it...she got me this book with some great pics....but they have a few of the breeds mixed up.Like,labeling a NH for a BO, and using a photo of one of the most feather pecked hens I've ever seen as a pic for showing the breed...just a thought..."Um,Mom? Maybe that book is being sold at the dollar store for a reason?" [​IMG]
    Just be choosy about the quality of your book and where they got their info for it

7. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
  8. Kdunn222

Kdunn222 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Southern md
    Silkie started great and stopped which is why incubated. The duck lays on anything.

9. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is one of the very best books on small scale poultry that I have ever read. If I were to cut back my poultry section in my library to just one book, gawd forbid, this would be the book I'd keep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by