nice article on pasture for chickens in NG last week

When I clicked on the link, they wanted my email address, so I passed
I would have to register to read it
Same here

Some highlights for you all then. It's not selling anything btw.

"On open-pasture farms around the country, egg-laying hens seem to have it made: an open door offers access into fresh air beyond.

But ultimately, “access to pasture” means just that—the barn door is open, says Kestrel Burcham, a policy director at the Cornucopia Institute, a nonprofit consumer watchdog group. “It doesn't necessarily mean they're actually using it.”

Many chickens fear open spaces, which leave them vulnerable to predators from above. Unless these open spaces are well-designed with trees, brush cover, or even solar panels, “pasture-raised” hens may never experience the pasture. Still, when it comes to chicken welfare, pasture-raised sets the highest standards, and the label indicates the hens can spend most of their day outside—if they want. ...

“Egg cartons are the most confusing of any livestock products,” Burcham says. (Confused at the grocery store? Here’s how to decode your egg label.)

Take “all-natural.” That label can be applied to chickens that were raised in farms that use battery cages, so long as the product was “minimally processed” in a way that doesn’t “fundamentally alter the product,” according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Typically that means there are no colors or artificial ingredients added. The words “farm fresh” on an egg carton have no specific meaning at all. ...

Modern domestic chickens are thought to be descendants of the Southeast Asian red junglefowl, which were preyed upon by sky-dwelling predators like raptors. Fearing open spaces, these wild ancestors evolved to seek sheltered habitats, including shrubs and vegetation, forests, and mangroves. Studies suggest that today’s domesticated chickens show the same preferences...

Some grocery stores have recently made commitments to phase out caged eggs by 2025. Stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Costco, and Target are either entirely cage-free or well on their way. “When chickens behave naturally, they naturally lay great eggs,” Whole Foods says on its website.

The Animal Welfare Act, the federal law that regulates the treatment of animals in research, exhibition, and transport, doesn’t cover livestock, which means it’s often up to farmers and consumers to demand better welfare, Burcham says.

“There’s an odd perception that birds are not as complex or sentient as mammals, which isn't accurate,” Burcham says. “They're a very dynamic species and I wish people paid more attention to what makes birds special.”

Last edited:
It's slow progress. The farmer planting trees is halfway there but for chickens plagued by hawks and in many case ground predators trees while welcome are not the answer. Shrub clumps, bushes and even man made low height shelters where the chicken can hide from view are better options for the chickens. Shrubs under tree cover, better still.
I found that bamboo/cane clumps made excellent shelter/cover for chickens. Chickens like to be able to see out onto open spaces from the security of dense cover.
It's a bit surprising that so few of those involved in large pasture raised projects seem to know much about what chicken prefer when it comes to their security and comfort.
Well put. Chickens are descendant from junglefowl, not pasturefowl. Grass is infinitely better than dirt, but it's still far from what a chicken accustomed to the outdoors would prefer

This is my original flock of chickens. Both they and their 6x great-grandchildren are running around outside in my woods right now- despite a wide variety of predators here including hawks and foxes
84.jpg

Some highlights for you all then. It's not selling anything btw.
Glad to know they debunked some of the carton claims.
No, but giving them your email address(did you have to do that?) opens you to a bunch of email 'spam', probably mostly to subscribe to their services(thus it's marketing).

Glad to know they debunked some of the carton claims.
No, but giving them your email address(did you have to do that?) opens you to a bunch of email 'spam', probably mostly to subscribe to their services(thus it's marketing).
You can always just make one up. Or have a junk email address. I have a couple of those - haven't checked them in years!

I can't imagine an organisation like National Geographic engaging in especially nefarious marketing anyway. The point of the article is what 'pasture-raised' really means.
Sadly the magazine and TV channel are now majority owned by Disney.
There is a joint venture between National Geographic and Disney (majority owned by Disney) that is in charge of all commercial activities of the National Geographic Society (which remains the leading science based non profit organization we have always known).
A smart financial move by National Geographic no doubt. And not a new thing that they created this venture to commercialize things more effectively.

Back
Top Bottom