nice article on pasture for chickens in NG last week

This is particularly relevant to American readers, but the main points apply everywhere
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/happier-hens-better-eggs-pasture-raised
It's slow progress. The farmer planting trees is halfway there but for chickens plagued by hawks and in many case ground predators trees while welcome are not the answer. Shrub clumps, bushes and even man made low height shelters where the chicken can hide from view are better options for the chickens. Shrubs under tree cover, better still.
I found that bamboo/cane clumps made excellent shelter/cover for chickens. Chickens like to be able to see out onto open spaces from the security of dense cover.
It's a bit surprising that so few of those involved in large pasture raised projects seem to know much about what chicken prefer when it comes to their security and comfort.

Shrub clumps, bushes and even man made low height shelters where the chicken can hide from view are better options for the chickens. Shrubs under tree cover, better still.
indeed. Mine spend most of their time in the shrub borders. Trees with low branches work well too through, as a few of them were demonstrating this morning :D
Rhondda Oxwich tree huggers.JPG

The farmer planting trees is halfway there but for chickens plagued by hawks and in many case ground predators trees while welcome are not the answer. Shrub clumps, bushes and even man made low height shelters where the chicken can hide from view are better options for the chickens. Shrubs under tree cover, better still.
I found that bamboo/cane clumps made excellent shelter/cover for chickens. Chickens like to be able to see out onto open spaces from the security of dense cover.
Interesting. Thank you.

indeed. Mine spend most of their time in the shrub borders. Trees with low branches work well too through, as a few of them were demonstrating this morning :D
View attachment 3751959

Same here. The only one that seems to spend any considerable time out in the open is the male, and any male I've had. When considering the male's daily tasks, I find it makes sense

Back
Top Bottom