Chicken bound

The chick innm

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2023
Hi there, my 1 yr old silkie seemed to be egg bound. Waited to see if egg came which it did but she is still pushing. During warm Eason bath I inserted tip of finger in vent, she pooped all over the place. But still is laboring after 18 hours. Appetite is low, had to use dropper to give liquid. Not sure what’s going on. Please help

If you think she is egg bound I would give her a calcium pill. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along to help you

Hi there, my 1 yr old silkie seemed to be egg bound. Waited to see if egg came which it did but she is still pushing. During warm Eason bath I inserted tip of finger in vent, she pooped all over the place. But still is laboring after 18 hours. Appetite is low, had to use dropper to give liquid. Not sure what’s going on. Please help
Laboring for 18hours she's now in crisis.

If she is egg bound, then give her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet or if you have TUMS get that into her.
Is she able to poop on her own?

If she's lethargic and not very responsive, don't soak her anymore, soaking can push them over the edge.
You can place her in a steamed up bathroom or provide her with a heating pad set on low, cover it with a towel and make sure she's not overheating.

Work on getting drops of sugar water into her to get her hydrated and sugar levels up.

Do not give an enema! You risk flushing bacteria/fecal matter into the reproductive system and causing infection.

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful. Hopefully she will make it.

Did you say that the egg was visible or that she passed it? Frequently, when they get an egg stuck, there may be another on the way. Give the calcium citrate with D or Tums as Wyorp Rock advised. No bathing. Keep her warm. Offer fluids and food. Let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom