Chicken Breed Focus - Ayam Cemani

Pics
Oh... so-so, I guess... :gig

I need some more black!!!! Do you have any eggs for sale!?

Here's another noob question--

Is there a trick to gently open the mouths to get a good look at the color of the inside and tongue? I don't have assistance, so I have to hold the bird with one hand and open with the other.

My birds, of course, object strenuously to having their beaks opened.

Here's another noob question--

Is there a trick to gently open the mouths to get a good look at the color of the inside and tongue? I don't have assistance, so I have to hold the bird with one hand and open with the other.

My birds, of course, object strenuously to having their beaks opened.

Tuck the bird under your arm like a football, tail behind your back and head forward... do this sitting down so you can rest their feet on your leg... clamp your elbow down snug on them, that will keep them immobilized and secured, don't squeeze too hard but make sure it's firm... curl the hand of that arm under their chin with your thumb to the outside of their beak and your fingers on the inside... pry open the mouth with your thumb and index and/or middle fingers at the base of their beak... once open keep your thumb or finger tips inside the edge of the back of the beak to hold it open... this leaves your other hand free for pics or medication administration... :)

Last edited:
My cemanis are defiantly the nicer birds in the coop! two of them fly up onto me every time I walk in the coop door! where as my barred rock roo has been attacking me more and more recently, which I am not a big fan of lol. but I have 20 cemanis 6 roosters and 14 hens. 2 of my roosters are solid black even the inside of the mouth is dark, 1 roo has pink inside mouth and the other 3 have some white leakage on their necks and mulberry combs. and the hens just 4 of them are solid black, the rest are mostly pink/white in their mouths but no color leakage into the feathers, and one hen has a fairly mulberry comb.
i'm fairly new to raising cemanis. I have had them since September 2016 I hatched eggs I bought from a breeder online after obsessing on how it would be best and most cost effective for me to get a good amount of these birds for good genetic diversity. I'm hoping to get some other eggs this spring to hatch so I have 3 unrelated breeding pens. I'm looking forward to reading more and thank everyone for sharing!
Stephen

i wanted to share this picture of a couple of my cemani roosters (and one barred rock hen)
the boat that they are on is their coop. but more importantly it is -5f out and these two cemani roosters would rather be outside keeping watch than inside in the warm (I have a cemani hen the same way)
in the first pic behind the cull cemani and barred rock you can see one of my other cemanis sitting on the rail.
and man they are so loud when they see an eagle! lol

Back
Top Bottom