Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

900x900px-LL-93e7baed_001.jpeg
This is Lizzie she will be 6yrs old in Sept. hasn't laid an egg in a couple yrs [menopause I guess] but still loves to go into a nest and sit on someone elses egg then get up and brag about it.
She lived in the house for close to 3 weeks a couple Jan ago when she had bumble on both feet. Couldn't ask for a better house chicken and she got along great with the dogs.

Aloha lovers of Brahma's and all things chicken! Great photos, beautiful backdrop @Lawrence Lovestock . I have family on your island in Mililani, Kailua and Honolulu (think I got you surrounded!) DH is there now visiting.
@Jandsloch That is a absolutely beautiful Brahma roo!!! I love him, brain or no brain :love !!!!
View attachment 2031184

My light Brahmas have to be my favorite so far. I love their size, looks, docile personalities and they are pretty easy keepers for me. I live in a warm humid climate where they do stress a little in the summers but no more than my other breeds. Good consistent layers, they have given me no health issues, are easy to break of broodiness, basic easy keepers and a general crack up. :D

Eva and Zsa ZsaView attachment 2031149
Precillia and Eva on inspection duty with the Orps- Hillary, Blossom and DaisyView attachment 2031146
Checking out the new boy (in quarantine) Augustus Valentine McCrow is Brahma/Americana
View attachment 2031148View attachment 2031147
Gus's third day w/ the girls (after 2 week quarantine)View attachment 2031143
Looks like Gus has got this one...View attachment 2031144
Jazzie (Poi mix) sitting on a clutch of eggs. This Saturday is day 21!!! I put under her Brahma, Orp and Barred Rock eggs mix with our local wild roo who is good and handsome but now replaced by Gus. I'm so excited!!! :D :D :D !!!
View attachment 2031185
Looking forward to more photos and input on this newly revived thread. Stay well gang!!!
I think peacomb= peabrain

Noooo! he must be as dumb as a box of rocks for you to make fun of such a handsome boy. I ended up with a brahma roo with my first batch of chickens a few years back. He was the coolest guy but i was under pressure to get rid of him. I had a hostile neighbor at the time who was a jerk on a good day. I did not want to risk anymore friction between us so I gave him away. I think I will always regret that. And certainly seeing your guy makes me regret it double.... or triple. I don't think Elvis would have gotten THAT big.
he will get on top rooster every night and then in the morning can’t ever figure out how to get down....pacing back and forth until I rescue his fat butt lmao the top roost is a foot higher and a foot back from the next one down but about arm length away from me...so every morning here’s me reaching as far as I can to get this big boy down! Then he started getting it....for about a month....then back to not getting down agai haha my husband bult what we call a handicap ramp for him....just him lmbo he chases girls and lands right into the top roo ( who is less than half his size) literally right into him every day then panics and flails around like he’s going to get a beat down all the while the other roo just stares at him hahaha he can be smart if he chooses but definately clumsy. But we most def love him. Got him from a breeder so he’s not hatchery. Not sure how big he will get honestly. To my understanding they take 2-3 years to fully grow he is 9 mo old right now.

View attachment 1799538 View attachment 1799539 I have 2 dark Brahmas who I love so much, but here pictured is my late light Brahma who was my lovely baby Winnie. She passed recently and the tree pictured is her resting place. Brahmas are probably my favorite birds and I’m so lucky I had her :love
I love my 2 buffs. Gracie is still my sweetest overall and will sit happily once she does a slight protest. Frankie is a bit reluctant but won’t argue once settled. They are both so sweet. They don’t snuggle down like my Silkies, but mostly because they are bigger then my lap now😃. When it’s time I think I’ll skip getting new Favorelles and do Silkies and Brahmas only. Although the Favorelles are like having twin clowns among the other 4.

Attachments

• 3D8157B5-E344-4CCB-8CAE-2BD35DE24553.jpeg
    3D8157B5-E344-4CCB-8CAE-2BD35DE24553.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 415D7693-DA85-43A4-83D4-4E402CA751ED.jpeg
    415D7693-DA85-43A4-83D4-4E402CA751ED.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 7
  • CD1B37AA-6146-4250-8932-8E3EFA6E489F.jpeg
    CD1B37AA-6146-4250-8932-8E3EFA6E489F.jpeg
    831.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 04B86EA5-BB68-4A44-92B6-2387B850C4D7.jpeg
    04B86EA5-BB68-4A44-92B6-2387B850C4D7.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 8
To answer the original post. I have one Brahma. I actually did not want any birds with feathered feet, but when my husband went to pick up my chick order, he asked the feed store lady to pick out a chick he could name Buttercup. Well, she is very special. My birds are strictly pets, and she is a sweetheart. She’s docile, easily handled, etc. She does seem to pick on the pullets more than anyone else does, but I love her!
19F45025-0AD0-4A7C-B09A-9D3E593262BD.jpeg

To answer the original post. I have one Brahma. I actually did not want any birds with feathered feet, but when my husband went to pick up my chick order, he asked the feed store lady to pick out a chick he could name Buttercup. Well, she is very special. My birds are strictly pets, and she is a sweetheart. She’s docile, easily handled, etc. She does seem to pick on the pullets more than anyone else does, but I love her!
View attachment 2033493
Great feet :love I think your DH did very well. Buttercup is wonderful! :D

Back
Top Bottom