Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

I've given up trying to post anything substantial from my phone. Swype is a great concept, but it takes me 10 times longer to correct its errors than it takes me to spell out each individual word.

Nothing quite like a pile of babies to make the day brighter.

These are the results of the eggs that @Wisher1000 shipped me 3 weeks ago. She sent 20 eggs. 15 were viable at 10 days (shipping damage, we think). Over the last 2 days (day 20 and 21) I've hatched 12 Campine babies and 5 of my own Breda Fowl (the tan and black solid chicks). Amazing odds for shipping, especially through Kansas City I understand.

Those are pretty little chicks, sharol. The one at the top bears a striking resemblance to our Fayoumis.
The adult birds look a great deal alike. I know that they have widely different standards but the color distribution is quite similar. When I saw the Fayoumis at the Wichita zoo (in the farm area), I thought they were Campines.

I think of them as leopard spotted.

Final hatch numbers were 13 of the 15 Campine eggs from @Wisher1000 hatched. I had to help 3 of them at one point or another, so those 3 may be weaker, time will tell. The little blonde in front is one of the Breda Fowl chicks as are the two up front, but the Campines are obvious by their leopard spots. LOL

Final hatch numbers were 13 of the 15 Campine eggs from @Wisher1000 hatched. I had to help 3 of them at one point or another, so those 3 may be weaker, time will tell. The little blonde in front is one of the Breda Fowl chicks as are the two up front, but the Campines are obvious by their leopard spots. LOL

A twist in history. There used to be Breda chapons (castrated roosters) which were famous far and wide for there delicate meat. Theses chapons traditionally were a large type of Campines, called the Chaams. Later on the bulkier Breda fowl appeared and took over this role. Breda an Chaam are in the same region, about 20 km apart.
The Chaams was recently revived and is doing very well right now. The Chaamse are heavier, 3 kg. And more pencilled and white than banded.

Here's a nice film about a professional farmer using this heritage breed, sister of the Campine.
It's in dutch, sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom