Chicken Breed Focus - Houdan

I haven't handled a lot of Polish, but Houdans are supposed to weigh 6.5-8 lbs, Polish should be more around 4.5-6lbs. My Houdans are Polish weight, if yours are heavier I'd love to know which hatchery she's from! These are from Cackle, I've been trying to coordinate with breeders up North for over a year to get some with no luck.
Our girls are quite young still, just hitting POL, but our polish are definitely in the 3.5- 4 lb range right now and our Houdan seems a little heavier. I haven't weighed her yet, but certainly can. She still has a few months to fill out, but I will happily keep you posted. We got her from My Pet Chicken, she was a last minute sub because I was worried about a BLRW not being able to handle the summer heat here and Spots was one of three other more heat tolerant birds they had for that date. I like crested breeds and chose her without knowing much about them, I figured her to be very similar to a polish but so far she has been very different. I would be willing to keep you up to date on her weight and growth.

Einstein (female) is entertaining to say the least.
Screenshot_20210111-051509_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210111-051536_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210111-051555_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210111-051325_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210111-051208_Photos.jpg

I haven't handled a lot of Polish, but Houdans are supposed to weigh 6.5-8 lbs, Polish should be more around 4.5-6lbs. My Houdans are Polish weight, if yours are heavier I'd love to know which hatchery she's from! These are from Cackle, I've been trying to coordinate with breeders up North for over a year to get some with no luck.
My hen is heavier than my polish hens. I ordered from meyer hatchery.

I had 2 arrive in a hatchery's choice assortment from mcmurray. closing on 5 weeks and they are the dumbest birds of the bunch. We've had them in the coop where they all can see each other but not contact. I've started letting the littles out to play after the bigs (total of 4) have settled for the night. This morning, one of the hens had gotten herself into the babies area and couldnt get out. Caught her, removed her, rooster protesting vocally (he's 10 months). Went to shoo the babies back into their area so I could let the adults out to roam. They all shoo'd except the Houdan, who played "ostrich": stood tall and put face in a corner. Do they ever smarten up?

We have 2 Houdan roosters about 6-7 months old that have started to get aggressive. I had read they were a gentle breed and safe for children, so I was surprised. Anyone know how bad they can hurt a person or even a small child? I was just really bummed when they started being buttheads. My 2 female Houdans are super sweet.

My babies ship out the 10th. I'm starting with hatchery stock and hope to build from there. I'm really excited to be getting Houdans as they are so interesting!

Anyone have show quality? I'd like to work with breeding mine toward the Standard of Perfection. Getting a few show quality will bump up their looks quicker than me starting from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom