Chicken Breed Focus - Ohiki

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Ohiki is a breed of long-tailed true bantam, originating on Shikoku Island, Japan, during Edo Period. Its name literally means "tail drag" or "small dragging". They are closely related to (and possibly derived from) the Japanese bantam and the Onagadori breed.

One of the Japanese long tailed breeds, it is a single combed bird with a white earlobe and red-brown eyes. Legs should be olive or willow green. The tail should drag behind at a 30 degree angle and can range from 60-150 cm (22- 55 inches) in length.

Details:

Purpose: Ornamental
Egg production:
Egg colour: Light brown
Origin: Japan
Weight, Male: 2lbs; Female 1.7lbs.

Pic by @onagadori

Pic by @onagadori

Pic by @Boggy Bottom Bantams

Pic by @Boggy Bottom Bantams

Pic by @onagadori

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/402147/ohiki-chicken-thread/0_30

Do you own Ohikis? Are you an Ohiki breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ohiki. My originals came directly from Toni Marie Austin and Aubrey with boggy bottom. They are personable little birds. They very much have their own personality and are also decent layers. Some of my only ones still laying this time of year. Not the biggest eggs but good size for a 2lb bird. Never found a mean bone in an ohiki body. Excellent broodies. Definitely one of my favorite breeds.

I am a relative newcomer to Ohiki, one year in, and here are my thoughts:

These are very different birds from Phoenix or other longtails. Those birds tend to be great free range birds, have superior flight abilities, and retain strong natural instincts that makes them a bit flighty at times. Ohiki, on the other hand, are more delicate. They are a bit more sensitive to cold, they do not have the same flight skills, and they are much calmer, people-friendly birds. They are also not really good candidates for free range as they will easily be overcome by any predator without the flight skills or the legs to run.

But they are cute, family friendly birds that retain good brooding instincts.

Because of the way in which they were introduced to the US, there are many different color combinations available right now, as the three main breeders tend to enjoy variety. I have barred in black and chocolate, BBR, silver duckwing, gold duckwing, red and gold pyle, gold cream pyle (looks white), and ginger. I'll whittle it down to only one or two colors in a year or so. The best quality birds seem to be in the standard colors - silver & gold duckwing, and BBR.

Rosecomb Ohiki are still out there in number, some call them Astin Sweepers, but I am trying to move away from them.

Right now, the only person who sells them consistently is Boggy Bottom Bantams. It's a real toss up what you'll get since most of the sales are assortments, but generally out of a 20 pack of chicks you will get a decent pair or so, which is normal for newer breeds. I haven't seen a really nice long tail outside of the handful of breeders that don't often sell, and while Boggy Bottom has some really nice birds, most of the sale chicks do not mature with very long tails from what I have seen from others and my own purchases. Tails and saddles merely touching the ground is my goal right now, along with short legs and round bodies. Hopefully as the stock available to the public improves, then tail length can also improve.

Pictured are some of my spring 2016 hatch Ohiki. The older ones are all molting at the moment. These are obviously young and therefore have some feathering to do, but I think they are off to a good start.

Last edited:
My Ohiki came directly from @minihorse927 hatched some cockerels from eggs and then picked up several pullets... I adore them and could not be more pleased with them... :)

Extremely curious, very intelligent and huge personalities they are a source of constant entertainment... good layers when they aren't broody and excellent mamas when they are broody, even adopting other chicks easily... only thing is that when one goes broody it usually becomes and epidemic... not uncommon to see a community broody nest and shared parenting duties...

While their tails can get very long when housed in a special appropriate aviary, I prefer to let mine live waddling around happily... they are the most predator aware and savvy of all my birds except the Call ducks... the free range our yard quite well and despite contrary beliefs, have successfully escaped predators better than many other breeds... a pair of blacks flew across the yard and to the tops of trees to escape a neighbors marauding dog and a broody with her chicks disappeared in short grass in a fraction of a second from a bird of prey...

I've had no issues with them during the cold and they even weathered the heat very well... all around, my favorite bantam I have, hands down...

Back
Top Bottom