Chicken Breed Focus - Orpington

Jun 28, 2017
Illinois
Silkies lay smallish eggs and are fairly winter hardy as long as they have a dry, non muddy coop. Although, they are perpetually broody and just a tad snuggly, they may end up being "house chickens.":lau

If you want small eggs, seramas have the cutest bite sized eggs. But they are not winter hardy and will have to have a place in your garage or sunroom or whatever may be attached to your home. Last year mine lived in the laundry room in a recycling bin during the evenings and a blocked off space in my dining/living room with washable wet pads. But they were babies then. This year they have a mini coop in the garage.

CCUK

Free Flying
Jan 21, 2018
North Notts, UK
My Coop
My Coop
How small is the eggs that these gals lay? I'm looking for a winter hardy breed that lays small to tiny eggs so I can make small pickeled eggs.
They are laying a reasonable sized egg. Alot larger than a regular bantam egg. 
DSC_0148.JPG

I used to pickle eggs and the best were from my quail.

CCUK

Free Flying
Jan 21, 2018
North Notts, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Do you have a recipe for pickeled eggs? I'd love to try!
I just hard boil the eggs. Peel them whilst there warm and put them in a jar with white vinegar. If you use brown vinegar the eggs start to go brown and look a bit off. There not though! You can add peppercorns, sliced gherkin, chilies whatever you like really to the mix for a bit of extra flavour. I just like mine plain with salad.

Top Bottom