Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

Thank you! I adore him! He's super, sane and sweet too!! I'm hoping to get some offspring from him and get his personality
smile.png
"sane"...LOL
That's a good thing for a rooster!

Getting some barred rock chicks at the end of June so no pics of them yet. Just wanted to share a pic of some very taste trout we had a few months back.
Can you tell the difference of pullets and roos when they are chicks?

Getting some barred rock chicks at the end of June so no pics of them yet. Just wanted to share a pic of some very taste trout we had a few months back. Can you tell the difference of pullets and roos when they are chicks?
In BPR the pullet is much darker and have some black/gray color on here legs the male is much more lighter in color and have perfect yellow legs. There is another sign, the pattern and sizes of bright marks on the head of the two genders, in my opinion it is difficult to know the gender using this sign. Reed this link: https://montanadolphin.wordpress.com/tag/sexing-barred-rocks/ ( the fish look very tasty, you need to add them some olive oil,some crushed garlic, nice lemon juice and 1/2 tee spoon of cumin, salt, black pepper, and 4 cm of Rosemarie, and bake them for 20-25 minutes in 180 C with nice cold white wine, a good Arugula salad, and a nice fresh crispy Baguette. Yami!!)

Last edited:
Since I am new to chickens (I've only had them for a little over a year and we started with laying hens) and completely new to having breeding pairs. What advice would you give to some just starting out?

I currently have 1 BPR hen and 1 Roo. I have the opportunity to purchase a few more pullets/hens soon. What do I look for?

I am really enjoying this conversation and learning so much!! Thanks y'all!

Agreed. If anyone is interested in breeding, or standard bred Rocks in general, the Plymouth Rock Breeders Thread is loaded with great information and discussions. Heres links to a couple books I found either on that thread or another, I can't remember, if anyone is interested. The first is the Plymouth Rock Standard and Breed Book and the second is another book discussing the varieties and standards. They're old books, from 1915 and 1911, but still provide a lot of useful and interesting information in my opinion. Hopefully the links work.

The Plymouth Rock Standard and Breed Book;
A complete description of all varieties of Plymouth Rocks, with the text in full from the latest (1915)
revised edition of the American standard of perfection as it relates to all varieties of Plymouth Rocks.
Also, with treatises on breeding, rearing, feeding, housing, conditioning for exhibitions, exhibiting--etc
https://archive.org/details/plymouthrockstan00amer_0

Standard-Bred Plymouth Rocks, Barred, White, Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge and Columbian;
Their practical qualities; how to judge them; how to mate and breed for best results
https://archive.org/details/standardbredplym00denn

Back
Top Bottom