Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

Here's some pic's of standard bred BR. This is a Cockerel from last year at 22 weeks old. Good example of sound physical conformation. Deep/low breast and nice wide back,not just at the shoulders but through the length of the body. This is a bird you can eat. They grow real slow, but make for a good large roaster. A true heritage bird with lots of flavor.

Here's some pic's of standard bred BR. This is a Cockerel from last year at 22 weeks old. Good example of sound physical conformation. Deep/low breast and nice wide back,not just at the shoulders but through the length of the body. This is a bird you can eat. They grow real slow, but make for a good large roaster. A true heritage bird with lots of flavor.

Nice Bird! I like his profile.

Here is a picture of my of my white rock girl, Lucy. She's a big girl, but a sweetie pie.

At the beginning of this past March we started a small back yard flock of four birds which is our city limit, each a different breed - Barred Rock (Pepper), Easter Egger/Ameraucana (Elsa), Buff Orpington (Anna - We have young daughters if you couldn't tell :D), and an ISA Brown (Boo). Of all of our girls, the BR is my absolute favorite so far. So much personality! She's always the first to greet us, chatting away happily while begging for treats, loves attention and gets along with all of the other girls. She's very inquisitive about everything. I think she's also starting to squat, which would be our first layer so far.

When we move in a few years outside of town, I'll definitely be adding more BR's to the flock. :thumbsup

I only have one Plymouth Rock, Roxy, and actually she is heat hardy which is why I got her. She lays 6 eggs each week, nice brown fat ones and she is a bit bossy and loud. She instructs everyone around on how to do whatever they are doing. LOL. She also talks to me and is very friendly and curious. She is smart and calm but I haven't had her go broody, yet. She will get into everything and show the others how to get into trouble while she is at at....

I only have one Plymouth Rock, Roxy, and actually she is heat hardy which is why I got her.  She lays 6 eggs each week, nice brown fat ones and she is a bit bossy and loud.  She instructs everyone around on how to do whatever they are doing. LOL.  She also talks to me and is very friendly and curious.  She is smart and calm but I haven't had her go broody, yet. She will get into everything and show the others how to get into trouble while she is at at....

6 eggs/ week is an excellent production! I get 3-4 a week!

Bossy Girl is my only Barred hen. She is just over 1 yr and has always had a little air about herself. She has never been sick, never has a feather out of place and keeps herself immaculately clean. I bought 2 of several diff breed birds. I gave mom the other Barred and hers is a lot more sociable than my Bossy Girl.

Back
Top Bottom