Chicken Breed Focus - Polish

Pics

Here is a picture of tail and her crest is a little wet from sprinkler
"She" was a Rooster! Sent him to a new home! Boo hoo

I absolutely love these chickens. They are the sweetest, friendliest I have ever owned. They are however somewhat fragile and high maintenance. I show mine so in the off season their crests are put 'up'. I have three frizzles (my favourites) and two smooth coats. They lay medium regular sized eggs and are not prone to go broody. If you have other breeds they tend to get picked on and due to their vision being hindered they can be easy pickings for predators. They love being picked up and stroked and so make great backyard pets Just protect them well.

Last edited:
At what age do they start to calm down and get over their spastic stage?

What are the differences between the bantams and LF other than size?

Thanks.

Mine are a bit calmer at 3 years old. I don't think they ever lose overreacting to everything, it's what polish do. Mine have done better with getting their crests routinely trimmed so they can see what is coming.

I absolutely love these chickens. They are the sweetest, friendliest I have ever owned. They are however somewhat fragile and high maintenance. I show mine so in the off season their crests are put 'up'. I have three frizzles (my favourites) and two smooth coats. They lay medium regular sized eggs and are not prone to go broody. If you have other breeds they tend to get picked on and due to their vision being hindered they can be easy pickings for predators. They love being picked up and stroked and so make great backyard pets Just protect them well.
Hi :welcome & the thread :frow Love your pic by the way!
At what age do they start to calm down and get over their spastic stage? What are the differences between the bantams and LF other than size? Thanks.
I agree with @oldhenlikesdogs some just don't ever the lose the overreacting part. Each and everyone of my polish all have their own characters. Some spook at the slightest of things and others are steady away and don't seem fazed by much. Some get lost in the garden and others know the place like the back of their hand. I have certainly found the ones that are more tame are the least tempted to spook. I took in one of my parents polish that was being bullied and because my parents don't really handle their birds she is scared of everything and anything! Talking to them really helps too I have found. It gives them a bit of warning that you are approaching them. As for the bantams and LF, I've found no differences other than size. Although I personally would not put a LF roo in with the bantam girls again. It just looks too much for the little ladies but a bantam roo has no problems with the slightly larger ladies.

So I have these 2 babies and I was told they are both the fluffy headed chicks (polish) if that is true why the heck do their heads look so different?! (Chicken newbie here) the silver is named Twister because its feathers are wild on its head and the other is Georgie because it reminds me of my dads hair and his nickname is George lol!

Back
Top Bottom