Chicken Breed Focus - Showgirl

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
If you like a unique looking chicken, Showgirls may be the breed for you. Showgirls are a recent creation, becoming increasingly popular in the last ten years or so. They are generally the result of crossing Transylvanian Naked Necks / Turkens to Silkies. The Turken is used in the first generation to incorporate the incompletely dominant Naked Neck gene into the breeding program, then for multiple generations continue by crossing the Naked Necked chicks back to Silkies to improve type. The goal is usually a bird that is essentially a Silkie but with a naked neck (and perhaps with bowties and/or beards).

Like Silkies, the Showgirl hens are very broody and exceptional mothers, and they are often used to hatch the eggs of other breeds. Showgirl females are usually very calm, sweet and gentle birds, they usually make excellent pets, especially for children. Because of their gentle nature Showgirls may not do well in mixed flocks with breeds that have a more aggressive temperament. Their silkied feathers make them vulnerable to extreme cold, especially in wet weather, the feathered feet also require some care. They generally are not very predator aware, do not do well free ranging, and should be kept in a fenced in area. Like Silkies they are usually five toed, dark skinned, and have a walnut comb. They come in many colours, white probably being the most popular.

Details:

Breed purpose: Ornamental, Broody
Comb Type: Walnut
Broodiness: Frequent, very good mothers.
Climate Tolerance: Silkied feathers make them vulnerable in cold and wet weather.
Weight: Varies, usually bantam to small standard size, 5lbs.
Egg Productivity: Poor
Egg Size: Small
Egg Colour: Tinted / light brown

Gave you a selection of pics to pick from, interesting as they are
Fm8tNLT5Uzj1WL-cSsv1cfcroFTC3lD_CswEjgb0pQCZh2j_iwdeiL7xUp8yPZvpiUtdx6OejfyuLHagPv3-Awor1tyxgChprsUkLBkBIDqKCcOJDkH4_wUM0iGfyanEQLmVSW0

N7DW4JWnTiBEwxCtFlwuStzs2fK3SbOVQg8XtcM0x5DNNn_dEg8jnSymrHfY7BAL4ebeDfj7Vq3j5kA2-W82Afold0EwWLTyLcudgAkT-W3a_uyaCIy17fNffa-VrnaHzTU3UfM

Pic by @debs_flock

5NuZFWdnh_xwVeks4ZV-aISA9-m8ZSlluqgtgcAtlTdaRppFVk7Ne7Jk5QBgzFhg3QcPU2BEALru7fKfUMBsZDUcBS76OioexnyZDkv2LEwH4gRhdJx9aQ8gi-35r3kBDeA3TWo

Pic by @jenifern

Qnavfr5dp-zr8Fc0N8oHrm7hIGhtQbjItVi1HY4O7R_QdKZoKvfq5eXytPkb6ahqCrbwC0B0HQmByNCWTTewMnCxHoIwqhmnx6mQC8ovoxdnfJdrYyjLBEG0HJSqr5ws3Q4s-2Q

Pic by @spowell

robEOIUY7CN9HhkLks-xsvfDjASeOCagdfwkF8toNAxwER3UutPTDiLqXfUA8Ww4bTaz-0_Iv0BzLyutNVaUHtSfik8TC3BvA7HMelEDOcDZwKQCCr2FZlpNBD-AhzfePN6ccQg

Pic by @TNBarnQueen

_I5EFQdYj6f6IHThtdxXyVriBJYrY5qKmH-Y2m7UKkkaG1-JTz_4ny0O74PVfxKHVQMcEsvaBp74gUfOd0BiqFM_vx5SJ0mCmINuUzKyIXLhpNX_UnhwT1T406i0FSkuZOWzhjc

Pic by @taprock

HZQFFlNA2Yq1AW-KeQZBPu3bB4eXdzLIEnVQiE2bElUyvK2hMz0mHhOhs9PvbxEUS9uXLzzycbUfqCdmJ-96Vq479bxtWbPb4ODV7la_OVbZT8HoGIvYjp_EFmp5IhB51NLa39U

Pic by @magikchick

T4V2ViLHn5ksJq04zq-_eQObbPIHIJWj-0HecjVfnU7oHGqEp7gpRMEjVSWgqPRV8TsF7YDa0ysnVPeVB22mZ0dj1Dpss095OYvmMZLUtB3WMP_bCVEga2TbjrRryvARdTh75rg

Pic by @jlynn

QBS3__8NY-DcCeN4WtmXyy89KmXMn-OBSlbdhlahlRTwhU_WMoaMjIUwTxK0fXLlUbXSPwWlTL9btERIcHQ-Pdm8fgL1-OO-urU6tV92p-f4fl12vL67rEwlCOMB2SZrVlXZ43k

Pic by @CliffB

BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/showgirl

General breed discussions & FAQ thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/416003/showgirl-thread-for-posting-pictures-and-discussing-breed/0_20

Do you own Showgirls? Are you a Showgirl breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
I love these goofy looking birds! I am hoping to produce some eventually. Just ordered my Turkens, so it will be a while. Thanks for the write up!
thumbsup.gif

I have a couple including these little girls. They are supposed to conform to the silkie standard (black skin, 5 toes) except for the naked neck. And some have more or less fluff on the neck. They are 6 months old now - I will have to get recent photos- and laying well. They don't seem to mind the cold at all and the other morning when it was 19 degrees, they were out running around my feet and begging for treats.and didn't seem cold at all. They sleep with the rest of the silkies and seem to have essentially silkie personalities perhaps just A little bolder than some but that may be individual. They like people and are cuddly and docile. .I think my dark one, Iomgene, lookslike a baby ostrich.

Back
Top Bottom