Chicken Breed Focus - Silkie

My favorites feathered subjects.

I just recently got some silkies!!! I was so excited. They are all buff or partridge except for the one white one. i really wanted some other colors, and the buff is maybe kinda sorta my least favorite
hide.gif

i dont really have any good pics yet tho. I have been too concerned with documenting their bobble heads and pasty butt than actually taking pics of them. Of the 7 that i have total, 3 of them are doing the bobble head stargazing thing, or at least starting to. I have them on polyvisol now thanks to help from a few BYC members!

5 of the 7, I rescued from a feed store, they had horrible pasty butt and would have died soon if someone didnt clean their butts off. I did not care what breed they were when I saw them I just knew i needed to save them. When i got home with them and saw that silly little 5th toe , I realized they were silkies, I was ecstatic! Their rears have healed up beautifully, and they are growing like little weeds! They are in a rubbermaid in my living room, and every day when I get home, for the past week, they have been jumping out of their rubbermaid as soon as they hear me and come looking for a snack. That is what i get for giving them mealworms, I have created little monsters lol!

PB & J when I first got them

PB & J a week or so ago. Not a good pic, but its really all I have. Most my chickens have been sick and I have been too busy doctoring to take pics

This was the day I got the pasty butt babies, right after I cleaned their butts. The white one still looks sickly in this pic.

They were always peeking out from under their mama heating pad!! They loved that thing!

All healed up! They look a little rough because they got coated in vaseline for a week. But they are starting to fluff up now!!

Love all my silkies, they are a mess. These 5 babies are gonna be SPOILED!

Seeing a lot of cute and gorgeous silkies here! I have so many photos of the silkies I've hatched in the past, and some silkies and SG. that I've had in the past.

I had seen photos of these little ones, thought I may as well try and hatch some. Wow, once was all it took. I love them, very sweet birds. I have a little white one out in the yard right now that isn't one with all of the muff around the eyes, she can see pretty good, so I have her free ranging...so fun to see that little fluff ball walking around. My DH was chuckling today as she went walking away from him..all that fluffy butt.

Last edited:

I had seen photos of these little ones, thought I may as well try and hatch some. Wow, once was all it took. I love them, very sweet birds. I have a little white one out in the yard right now that isn't one with all of the muff around the eyes, she can see pretty good, so I have her free ranging...so fun to see that little fluff ball walking around. My DH was chuckling today as she went walking away from him..all that fluffy butt.
Once was all it took for my DH to fall in love with these fluffies! He can't imagine the backyard without them and we plan everything around them!

I love my Silkies! I have different colors and each of them have their own personalities! I got them as pets and for eggs. I traveled from Virginia to Colorado with one and she laid 4 eggs out of the 5 days we traveled. When we got to Colorado, I purchased 12 chicks. Unfortunately, I lost one about a month ago. The chicks are now beginning to lay eggs. I get between 4-7 eggs a day right now.

I love my Silkies!
love.gif
I recently lost all of my Silkie Hens but one to a Hawk attack. I still have my Roo. My nephew is holding my Roo, my daughter is holding Raven. And my other picture is of Snickers. I also lost my buff, white Silkie hens. Tiny (Roo) is the only Silkie left. My Silkie hens were my best mothers. And I plan on get more in the coming spring

I love my Silkies!
love.gif
I recently lost all of my Silkie Hens but one to a Hawk attack. I still have my Roo. My nephew is holding my Roo, my daughter is holding Raven. And my other picture is of Snickers. I also lost my buff, white Silkie hens. Tiny (Roo) is the only Silkie left. My Silkie hens were my best mothers. And I plan on get more in the coming spring

sorry to hear that.. one of my friends silkie's hen that I named Jasmine she got heat stroke. heres some pics

she was a cutie though!

Back
Top Bottom