Chicken Breed Focus - Sussex

Definitely one I'll be following -- my daughter and I fell in love with the look of and things I had heard about the Speckled Sussex a couple of years ago, ordered them for my spring chicks last year but then we decided to move cross-country so my order came in at the same time I was beginning to liquidate my flock - had my SS for all of four weeks. Now we are settled, working on the coop at our new place and *hopefully* in the next two weeks I'll be bringing home my new flock, which will include Speckled Sussex!

We've got some speckled sussex due March 7th. I can't wait! Our daughter has had them on her wish list for a while.

We incubated a Coronation Sussex three years ago. She (Hope) was a beauty & so docile. Sadly, the giant girl didn't do very well in the extreme heat of summer during her 2nd year. We kept one of her chicks. Not a purebred, but she has the same sweet personality. So named her Sweetie.

This was Hope:

My son claimed Hope's daughter as his own. For about a month or two, our son simply called her "Mine." LOL She was then called "Nemo" for a while - Latin for "nobody" because no one would name her. Later we called her Sweetie because that's simply what she is! She looks more Orp than Susex, but we love the big hen.

I want Speckled Sussex, but I'm torn . . . I began with bantams and I love them, and I can't find any bantam Speckled Sussex. I either have to buy some LF girls, or go with my second choice, which is bantam Buff Orpingtons. Darn.

I really wish Sussex bantams were more readily available.

I got six Speckled Sussex 'pullets' last year from the local feed store and ended up having to rehome one because she developed the horrid habit of yanking the pin feathers out of her hatchmates and eating them. This also started a bleed that lead to pecking by the others. Out of the remaining five one had a very large, very pretty comb so I named it Princess so when it became the rooster I knew it would I could say it was 'The Rooster Formally Known as Princess'. They are fun, friendly and chatty and just starting to get into laying eggs, some of which reach extra large size.

We've had speckled sussex a few times. Have always liked them.
Picked up a trio of Coronation sussex a few weeks ago. Waiting for eggs out of them now.

I never considered getting any Sussex birds, but I went to look at a poultry merchant's stock in August 2015. He kept a mixed flock of assorted breeds, hens and roosters, in a dark shed, a temporary accommodation as he sold them on. He opened the door to show me the birds and immediately this lovely hen came flying out, straight into my arms. And stayed there quite happily… Needless to say the "just going to look" turned into a purchase. I bought her and a Bluebell hen to keep her company. They've been great and consistent layers since starting a few weeks after I bought them, until about 3 weeks ago when we sadly lost the Bluebell to nighttime predator. The Sussex started laying again recently, but not as well as before.

Here she and Bluebell are getting a bit spoiled by my DS, about 4 weeks after we bought them:

Wonderful picture @sumi Sorry you lost your Bluebell (but I do envy you that fire right now).

I have a mixed flock and the Speckled Sussexes are my favorites. They are the friendliest, the ones that will come up to me and hang out with me. If I had to just have one breed I would get all Speckled Sussexes.

We are also adding speckled Sussex to our mixed flock this spring. Very excited to read so much positive feedback as we've never kept any Sussex yet!

Back
Top Bottom