Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

I have one golden laced Wyandotte. She is almost 6 months old and not laying yet. I really like her, not only for the beautiful feathering but also for her intelligence. She is an excellent forager and jumps out of the fences area along with my Lakenvelders. Actually, she is the first to always entice my Lakenvelders and Phoenix to jump the fence and go explore. I was surprised at the fact that she is an excellent flyer. I would never guess a heavy breed could fly, jump or roost so high. She likes to perch on my arm to get treats before the others.
She comes when called, so I am able to put her back in the fenced area.
I am overall very pleased w this breed.

I have a pair of GLW - they are 15 weeks. I got them for winter hardiness and because they are so pretty- we are in a very cold climate. So far Milo the roo is not a frequent crower but he is very alert. He's standoffish with us but gentle and his girl JoJo is always by his side. They are definitely the top chickens. My trouble makers are my EEs and one BO. My wyandottes definitely aren't the wanderers or escape artists!

@sumi Well that's two in a row that you've posted about that are favorites or drool worthy breeds for me. Birds of a feather are we?
gig.gif

I adore this breed. They are Kritz's on the roost growling and bossing, but they've proven themselves laying for me during the winter and as they age. If you want laying longevity in a backyard setting...I think Wyandottes are your bird. Their body shape is like a bowling ball and comb type is just what I need for nasty cold winters. Perfect for me.

I have 5 Gold Laced Bantams. 2 roos and 3 pullets. I was buying some SOP Rhode Island Red hens and the lady talke me into buying the GLW for 2 bucks each. My wifecsealed the deal. They are extremely beautiful birds, however they are flighty and not overly friendly. Comet and Clyde are starting to realize I feed them and are coming around. The Ladies aexstill skitish.

I have 7 slw pullets (19-25 weeks old) and 1 slw cockerel (25 weeks old).
I got this breed because I wanted a silver laced egg laying breed to work with and breed. So far I find them to be talkative and generally calm. I wouldn't say( yet) that they are buff Orpington calm but pretty close. I do enjoy the color and can't wait for the adult size to show up.
My rooster crows from 3 am- 8pm it seems like. He will crow if he hears,sees,smells, or thinks about something. I swear if he doesn't hear himself for a minute he thinks he's fell asleep and will jerk around and fluff his feathers then he let's out his mighty crow. Love his size and temperament though. Very respectful guy even with the hormones rushing through him. His dad was a people aggressive bird from adolescents to 2 years old
(not my bird).
All in all I like the breed and can't wait to see how close I can get them to SOP being hatchery/back yard breeder stock. I will be adding to them with some better stock through my journey with them.
Now let's see if I can find a pic or two.
my loud boy at 16 weeks
1 of the girls before I separated my spring hatch.
finally a group shot before the coop rearrangement.

Those of you who have older Wyandotte roosters - how is their temperament? Our golden laced boy was supposed to be a pullet but we are keeping him for now - on probation. So far he's pretty skittish of everyone and everything. Not aggressive at all - eats out of my hand but then runs away. I have 5 hens, hoping he'll be gentle with them.

I have 3 Silver Laced. I got them because they are so beautiful and they are supposed to be good layers. Mine are quiet and antisocial. They don't like being handled, and they seem to kind of isolate themselves from our Buff Orpingtons in a little clique. They are hardy, smart, and fast. They never do a submission squat, EVER! One of ours just started laying nice sized eggs, and I can see that if I had a mind to use them as table birds, they would be substantial. One of mine has a pretty big breast on her for a dual purpose bird. Even though they haven't been very aggressive to us, or to their established flock mates, they were awful to the Barred Rocks we tried to integrate. So much so, that we never got it done. My mom and stepdad keep threatening to steal one of them for their mixed flock, because they are so attractive. I would say that I may never go with this breed in the future due to their quirks in temperament, but who knows, I just might if I could free range all of the time, because I think they would fare better that way.

Back
Top Bottom