Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
Hi,
I got 2 bosvelders from a friend on a farm in Botrivier (Caledon).
The other two I bought later from a lady in Kalbaskraal (Malmesbury). I also bought 2 Australorps "hens" from her that turned out to be 2 beautiful roosters. Unfortunately I had to let the roosters go when they started crowing for I live in the suburbs and don't want to upset my neighbours.

Below is my daughter making sure that her chickens eats and stay healthy.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered 20 potch hens and now 10 weeks later, 17 of them turned out to be roosters!! I've noticed most breeders are in Joburg area, so if you do have a number of a local (western cape) it would be great as we often go to cape town. I am looking for Bosvelders ,Vendas, or even Brahma and Australorp. Great photo.

Hello! I am not in South Africa, but I would *love* to know more about the Boschvelder breed! They are so pretty! Do they have a standard? I would love any info on them!

I am looking for the names and standards for all the African breeds. Very little is known about African chickens in the United States and I am trying to compile more information. Any help you are able to give is greatly appreciated!

I am looking for the names and standards for all the African breeds. Very little is known about African chickens in the United States and I am trying to compile more information. Any help you are able to give is greatly appreciated!

Sending you some pm's now. Got most of the information for you.

Struggling to track down the Bosvelder breed standard, have sent you the Venda and Potchefstroom Koekoek in the meantime. Any other questions please shout
big_smile.png

Last edited:
You're the best!

Is there any information about the village chickens? I know they do not have standards, but they could be considered a landrace, like the Icelandic chicken.

You're the best!

Is there any information about the village chickens? I know they do not have standards, but they could be considered a landrace, like the Icelandic chicken.

There are some somewhere. Not online though. Village chickens are often called Ovambo, or Venda, sometimes incorrectly. I have seen people showing incredible examples of both. Will have a look around and see what i can find for you.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom