Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
Hi guys.

I'm another chicken fanatic from South Africa. I don't breed (I live in surburbia and I'm not too sure the lawyer next door would take to kindly to a rooster) but I have a flock of seven mixed breed ladies. I'm from JHB.

@LadyBroody I have a Brahma. I got her from a lady who lives in Farmall JHB. She has many different breeds - some of them firsts to SA! But I don't imagine that helps you as I see you are from Durban. But let me know if you want her contact details (If she isn't already on this forum somewhere...)

Hi guys.

I'm another chicken fanatic from South Africa. I don't breed (I live in surburbia and I'm not too sure the lawyer next door would take to kindly to a rooster) but I have a flock of seven mixed breed ladies. I'm from JHB.

@LadyBroody I have a Brahma. I got her from a lady who lives in Farmall JHB. She has many different breeds - some of them firsts to SA! But I don't imagine that helps you as I see you are from Durban. But let me know if you want her contact details (If she isn't already on this forum somewhere...)
welcome-byc.gif
It's always nice to see South Africans on this thread/BYC!!!!

I am also in the middle of town. Our bylaws in Randburg mean i can keep up to 10 chickens on my property. My neighbours thankfully havent complained.

I love having a rooster around, really puts my mind at ease when i am not at home.

Welcome to the thread!

I imagine our bylaws in Cresta area are probably similar. I didn't actually check to be honest. But we are on good terms with our immediate neighbours and none of them are unhappy about my little flock of seven. So it shouldn't be a problem.

There was a stage when I thought there was a chance my black Orpington was going to be a roo, but I don't think so any more. I have to confess I am a tiny bit dissapointed as there are few things as grand (yet adorable) as an Orpington Rooster. LOL.

I am also in the middle of town. Our bylaws in Randburg mean i can keep up to 10 chickens on my property. My neighbours thankfully havent complained.

I love having a rooster around, really puts my mind at ease when i am not at home.

Welcome to the thread!
Do you have a problem with hawks in your area??

hi all,
I used to have a roo, who I hand reared, and loved to bits, and he used to protect my three hens. But the crowing got too much and I had to give him away to a good home. it was devastating. don't get yourself in that situation in the first place if you can, its so heartbreaking. i only have one hen now, she's a pet and sleeps inside, but roams outside with the wild guineas in the day. i worry about eagles/hawks, but more the mongoose. my solution is to always have the dogs out with her, for protection. they're not livestock guardians or anything, but they chase whatever comes close that doesn't belong here.. 2 mongrels and an alsation. this has worked well for me so far.if there's no one home she has one of those stalls to go into on the lawn that she's totally safe inside.
has anyone had experiences with hens and snakes? I figured my roo would have probably attacked a cobra and might have been bitten, but my hen is a bit silly as well, she seems to think she's a human or a dog.
we live in the national park so we have PLENTY of puffs and cobras..

hi all,
I used to have a roo, who I hand reared, and loved to bits, and he used to protect my three hens. But the crowing got too much and I had to give him away to a good home. it was devastating. don't get yourself in that situation in the first place if you can, its so heartbreaking. i only have one hen now, she's a pet and sleeps inside, but roams outside with the wild guineas in the day. i worry about eagles/hawks, but more the mongoose. my solution is to always have the dogs out with her, for protection. they're not livestock guardians or anything, but they chase whatever comes close that doesn't belong here.. 2 mongrels and an alsation. this has worked well for me so far.if there's no one home she has one of those stalls to go into on the lawn that she's totally safe inside.
has anyone had experiences with hens and snakes? I figured my roo would have probably attacked a cobra and might have been bitten, but my hen is a bit silly as well, she seems to think she's a human or a dog.
we live in the national park so we have PLENTY of puffs and cobras..
Here where i live, we also have puffs and cobras, there is a huge problem with snakes!! Luckily our hens (We have roo's to warn them though
idunno.gif
) normally stay away from sankes! Only once has a hen died from being bitten by a snake here in 7 years (or so)!!

No, we do see them, but the rooster keeps an eye on the sky at all times. Plus they have plenty of cover if they need it. We did have a genet come in and steal a few chicks one year, but i have put up some security for them at night so dont have that worry anymore.
We keep a lot of chickens, and the hawks no that (we always have a supply of chicky food for them
sad.png
) But we have planted trees and shrubs for cover!!

That's funny. I am not far from Randburg and we never see Hawks (or genets for that matter) Perhaps I just haven't spotted them. In which case I have been very lucky! We haven't lost a single chicken to a predator.

Back
Top Bottom