Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Just popping in to say HIIIII. spring has certainly sprung and the weather is glorious. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend with their favourites.
My girls still holding out on their egg bearing.... but we will get there one day.
1f602.png
I hope lol

Hi @Macksy sure it will all come together soon , looks like your chooks are Def giving you endless hours of entertainment.

Thanks. I got involved with chickens in a slightly unconventional way...ordered some beautiful chickens from a breeder. All died from Coryza within a week. Then got some chickens from our labourer, he is the rooster in my profile pic. Those indigenous chickens lay eggs that are 63 grams and are bigger than the Australorps! Drove around the neighbourhood looking in people's yard for chickens after no luck searching online. This amazing guy gave me 2 hens and 2 roosters. The one is a real stud...but only has one eye lol. I think he's some sort of Orpington ...make a fine match for fat Betty, the Brahma. Busy expanding my flock to have 100 indigenous and 100 Australorp white. I have so many outbuildings on the farm suitable for coops and runs...will sort them all out for the rare breeds.

I enjoyed myself this week with my babies lol. It's surprising to see how these two run after me like puppies. When I pick them up, they try to get a peck at my teeth lol

So happy to have found this forum! I'm from Cradock, Eastern Cape. I have White Australorps, Partridge Brahma and breed indigenous chickens. would like to exchange some fertile eggs.

Welcome to the group. It's nice to know there's crazy people just like yourself, who like talking about chickens the whole time!

Last edited:
Yep Nadine, I like chickens! I have 3 batches of eggs in the incubator. Don't think the 1st lot will hatch as power was out for 24 hours :(. It's the 1st time I'm hatching Fat Betty's (Brahma) eggs with 1 eyed Wyatt Earp (orpington). Can...uhhh ermm ... a 1 eyed Roo see enought to ..how to say .. Seal the deal? Time will tell I guess lol. The rest of the eggs are White Australorps

I'm getting most excited. The girls are now 22 weeks old and today 2 of them squatted in front of me when I reach out to them. They are also paying interest in the nest box. Ooooh the laying must be close!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom