Chicken Breeds Health Problems

Not exactly an easy feat when pretty everything else either isn't my type of chicken or isn't easily avaliable
Yeah, I imagine extreme weather limits breeds that are better made for it. Makes me thankful the weather here doesn't get so bad it has horrible effects on the chickens, either during winter or summer. Makes me squeamish thinking about dubbing so I'd rather avoid it altogether.

Yeah, I imagine extreme weather limits breeds that are better made for it. Makes me thankful the weather here doesn't get so bad it has horrible effects on the chickens, either during winter or summer. Makes me squeamish thinking about dubbing so I'd rather avoid it altogether.
I dont personally like the idea of dubbing, but done right, I cant see how slowly losing a comb and wattles to frostbite is less painful. Its not all at once, its slowly, usually over months, where dubbing is only a few cuts and then healing if its done right

I think breeding for function (such as tolerating cold or heat) is a better way of breeding animals. Then I am certainly a supporter of keeping the gene pool large and often adding new animals.

In my view it is very different to breed an animal that can deliver a certain performance that gives it an external characteristic, than selecting purely on the looks.

There are of course major and minor abnormalities, an open skull associated with neurological problems seems like a no go to me, while beavered legs cause minor discomfort. Still, I don't see any reason to breed animals even with a minor discomfort.

I think for now that, if I buy chickens, it will be a mixed breed from someone from our village.

I dont personally like the idea of dubbing, but done right, I cant see how slowly losing a comb and wattles to frostbite is less painful. Its not all at once, its slowly, usually over months, where dubbing is only a few cuts and then healing if its done right
Fair point. I'd take acute pain over chronic if no other option is available.

I don't see any reason to breed animals even with a minor discomfort.

I think for now that, if I buy chickens, it will be a mixed breed from someone from our village.
There are lots of pure breeds with normal feathers, clean legs, no crests, etc.

If you want mixed breeds, that is fine, but the problems you listed are found in relatively few breeds of chickens. Most breeds are fine.

I think breeding for function (such as tolerating cold or heat) is a better way of breeding animals. Then I am certainly a supporter of keeping the gene pool large and often adding new animals.

In my view it is very different to breed an animal that can deliver a certain performance that gives it an external characteristic, than selecting purely on the looks.

There are of course major and minor abnormalities, an open skull associated with neurological problems seems like a no go to me, while beavered legs cause minor discomfort. Still, I don't see any reason to breed animals even with a minor discomfort.

It really comes down to the individual. We have to live with our actions and everyone in some way, shape, or form justifies things to ourselves that another person would be unable to. I'm okay with feathered legs as the feathers can be trimmed back if ever necessary and associated issues (ie mites) can easily wreak havoc on clean legged chickens as well. Ways to mitigate these issues are a normal part of flock management. It's not much of a quality of life issue in my eyes.

It really comes down to the individual. We have to live with our actions and everyone in some way, shape, or form justifies things to ourselves that another person would be unable to. I'm okay with feathered legs as the feathers can be trimmed back if ever necessary and associated issues (ie mites) can easily wreak havoc on clean legged chickens as well. Ways to mitigate these issues are a normal part of flock management. It's not much of a quality of life issue in my eyes.
The point in that is that not only we have to live with it, but also the animal we breed or buy. It's easy to say that you don't mind a certain genetic abnormality if you don't have to carry it yourself.

When it comes to animals, I think we should regularly ask ourselves whether we are going in the right direction or not, always looking away is not a solution. That's one of the reasons I opened this topic.

For example, do you think the feathered feet are a positive addition, or would you look at chickens without them in the future? No offense intended, you don't have to answer if you don't want to😉.

There are lots of pure breeds with normal feathers, clean legs, no crests, etc.

If you want mixed breeds, that is fine, but the problems you listed are found in relatively few breeds of chickens. Most breeds are fine.
I have indeed picked a few extremes and I know there are many more. Personally, I'm not a fan of purebred in general, broadly speaking it comes down to inbreeding in the end. I've always liked crested chickens, but I'll never buy them again. I also like to sponsor a local and most here in my village have mixed breeds.

The point in that is that not only we have to live with it, but also the animal we breed or buy. It's easy to say that you don't mind a certain genetic abnormality if you don't have to carry it yourself.

When it comes to animals, I think we should regularly ask ourselves whether we are going in the right direction or not, always looking away is not a solution. That's one of the reasons I opened this topic.

For example, do you think the feathered feet are a positive addition, or would you look at chickens without them in the future? No offense intended, you don't have to answer if you don't want to😉.
Yes, of course animals have to live with the decisions people make regarding them but people make decisions based on what they are okay with. However they reached that conclusion, whether it's right or wrong regarding the animal.
I do agree that people should breed/buy with the health of the animal in mind but I don't think everything is black and white nor do all "abnormalities" negatively affect quality of life. I don't think feathered legs are a positive or negative addition based on my limited experience with them, I think they're just there. There is a world of difference between a minor aesthetic variance compared to a trait based on a physical deformity or general unethical breeding. Morally, I draw the line at anything that very likely can or does negatively impacts the health of the animal.
I've primarily only had clean legged chickens. The langshans are my first feathered breeds that I've gotten last October.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom