Chicken breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Veatch81, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Veatch81

Veatch81 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    Are there certain breeds that don't get along with each other? For example would Plymouth barred rocks, blue lace wyandottes, and Rhode Island reds get along together?

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Yes all chickens get along with each other. But there is always a TOP hen that will show the others who's boss. Chickens don't kill each other(Some roosters do).

-BCP

3. Veatch81

Jul 12, 2016
    Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if all chickens were cool with each other or not. I know about that pecking order with the horses. Are the barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, wyandottes all pretty easy keepers?

4. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I noticed that the barred rocks aren't that friendly. And the roosters are mean. Wyandottes and RIR's are fine, and lay lots of eggs.
    In my opinion, I would choose the following breeds, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorp, Polish, Wyandottes, Dominiques, Ameraucana's, Silkies and Brahma's. All these breeds lay plenty of eggs. You can look up the breeds and see what you think

-BCP

5. Veatch81

Jul 12, 2016
    Any of those lay green or blue eggs? Are there any heritage breeds that do?

6. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Yes the Ameraucana lays green eggs. The araucana( IS rumpless or tailess) lays beautiful blue eggs. Then the Cream Legbar lays blue eggs(And can be sexed at birth! By the color.)
    Easter Eggers can lay either green, blue or brown eggs.
    Hope this helps

-BCP

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicken temperament is more of an individual bird and/or line thing rather than a breed thing.
    Temperament can depend a great deal on housing and management also.

Get the breeds that you like the look of and/or the breed that lay the color eggs you want.

1 person likes this.
  8. HenHugs

HenHugs Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    Salmon Favoralles tend to get bullied and Brahmas are the top of the pecking order

9. Veatch81

Jul 12, 2016
    Think I'll start out with some barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, and wyandottes.

10. HenHugs

HenHugs Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    Oh I have a couple wyandottes and even if they are only 6 weeks old they are a bundle of energy and love to jump around. I heard if you get a barred rock you have to get more then 1 to keep it from fighting. Wyandottes and Red Rhodes sound great though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by