Chicken breeds

I love the color and feather patterns on wyandottes. Feel free to post pics. I am thinking 3-6 barred rocks 3 reds and 3 wyandottes.

Think I'll start out with some barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, and wyandottes.
welcome-byc.gif

I've had all these breeds together and they've done fine.
Barred Rocks are usually the backbone of my mixed flock. They're usually more top of the social ladder, but not bullies.
I haven't had a ton of Reds, just personal preference. I hear they can be aggressive to the other birds, especially in close confinement. But those two other breeds can easily hold their own.
Wyandottes are good middle of the herd types usually. And the laced varieties are such eye candy!

As a rule, any of the dual purpose or production layers can be housed together. Your bigger issues come with trying to house ornamentals with production birds, the ornamentals can get picked on cause they look different and are usually more docile.

Feather footed birds are usually bred to be more docile overall. So, you may run into issues housing them with more assertive production birds, especially if you're tight on space.

Bantams housed with large fowl can be an iffy thing. It can go just fine, or end terribly for the bantams. As for most things when keeping chickens, lots of space really increases your odds of everyone getting along and being healthy and productive.

That's good! I don't really plan on getting into ornamentals or bantams so that shouldn't be an issue. Kinda just a thing for me and the boys to do. I'd like to try and hatch some with my 5yr old.

Not all chickens get along.

Doesn't matter what breed they are,matters on size and Temperament. Young and small "chickens" are more vulnerable to get picked on.

Are there certain breeds that don't get along with each other? For example would Plymouth barred rocks, blue lace wyandottes, and Rhode Island reds get along together?
Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart. You will also want to consider your location (hot summers vs. cold winters, lots of snow and ice?), how much space you have available for them, Will you be allowing them to free range or keeping them in a coop/run situation all the time? Do you ever want to hatch your own eggs? Keep a rooster? Broody hen or incubator? I can tell you that I've NEVER met a RIR that I could tolerate. They tend to be on the aggressive side. I'd also recommend that a newbie stay away from the Mediterranean breeds.

Anybody have a preferred hatchery for eggs to hatch?
If you're going to try to hatch eggs, I strongly suggest that you get some fertile eggs from a local farm and start there. It will give you a colorful flock, a good learning experience that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Shipped eggs have a poor success rate, and there is quite a learning curve in managing an incubator.

Anybody have a preferred hatchery for eggs to hatch?
Ditto LG's reply. Local eggs have a much better hatch rate. Shipping eggs just doesn't always do well.

You may be amazed at the diversity of breeds available locally. After all, all these breeders have to live somewhere, right? Granted, they may not be within 5 miles of you, but I'll bet within a 30 mile radius there are several breeds available.

Putting a wanted ad on my local CL I've been able to get pure bred Ameraucana, Marans, CCL, Swedish Flower hens, Colombian Wyandottes, and Faverolles. Give it a try and see what pops up in your AO.

Back
Top Bottom