Chicken bullying

EnesaMac

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2021
Australia
Hi,
Im a first time chicken owner to 7 chickens. I originally bought 5 at a week old and not long after had to remove one from the rest due to wry neck. She was separated for some time until she was treated and thankfully she made a full recovering however she has now been rejected by the flock. They are all now 10 weeks old and while the rest are outside in the coop at night, she has been staying in our laundry ( they all free range during the day).
What can I do to make it better ? I was thinking of having her in a separate coop and buying a pullet for company, but what if that new pullet decides to join the other flock? Should I maybe purchase a younger chick?
I feel really bad that she is alone and I need to somehow come up with a solution. I would appreciate any advice :)
Many Thanks

First of all, we never remove a chicken from the flock unless a severe injury or illness requires it for the safety of the chicken or there's a contagious disease. This goes triple for baby chicks. Most illness, injury and disorders can be treated with the chicken remaining with their flock. Wry neck is simple to treat with vitamin E capsules and there's no need for the chick to be separated to do it.

Now, you need to fix this. And no, it's always worse if you try bringing in new chickens. First, what does the brooder look like? Or are they in the coop? Can you partition a space next to the chicks for the bullied chick? Then try placing one chick at a time with this chick and see how it goes. They must all be able to see and interact with one another.

Bullying is not a chick pecking "hello" on another chick's head. This is how chickens reconnect with each other. It's usually one single peck, like a human kiss hello. Bullying is chasing and repeated pecking and sometimes a gang attack where they all stomp the poor chick. That's when you intervene.

Once you find a chick that will remain peaceably with this chick, then introduce both of them back to the rest.

Back
Top Bottom