Chicken Buyers Remorse

Pics
I will never buy Marans again. We free range and they aren’t very good at avoiding predators, not much awareness and not camouflage, overall were very weak in my opinion. We had 3 hens and they all died. I liked our rooster, although he was rough with the hens. He ended up breaking his wing so he is in the freezer. He did have a lot of meat, so there is that.

Definitely had buyers remorse over my fayoumis. They’re gorgeous and great foragers but the roosters harassed everyone and crowed incessantly with their screechy high pitch voices.

Wouldn’t do silkies again unless they were just kids pets. They were adorable but really not too bright.
Same! They are louder than anything, even howler monkeys; not very friendly; and love running around the neighborhood tearing up people's gardens. One of them was killed by a neighbor's dog and the other one, named Skinny Legend, needs to be rehomed because she won't stay in the yard.

Advice: only get Egyptian Fayoumis if you live deep, deep in the woods, far from any neighbors and like little, sassy birds. We like little, sassy birds, but these aren't a suburban-ready breed.

Same! They are louder than anything, even howler monkeys; not very friendly; and love running around the neighborhood tearing up people's gardens. One of them was killed by a neighbor's dog and the other one, named Skinny Legend, needs to be rehomed because she won't stay in the yard.

Advice: only get Egyptian Fayoumis if you live deep, deep in the woods, far from any neighbors and like little, sassy birds. We like little, sassy birds, but these aren't a suburban-ready breed.
Louder than howler monkeys😂 ‘tis true! I would definitely not want to have them somewhere they needed to be contained. They can jump a 6 ft fence without blinking. They are super good foragers but not afraid of anything which makes them not very predator savvy. I have saved one of my fayoumi hens from a hawks clutches twice! The first time the hawk pecked a hole into her crop which I had to glue shut. The strangest part was that the hen didn’t seem the least put out by any of it... sass galore.

I'll never buy another 'production red' type of bird. Ever.
They have such a sweet nature to them that you fall in love, but sadly the breeding stock here in Panama is very poor and most of the pullets are born with reproductive disorders, many dying within just a month or two after starting to lay and some never even manage to successfully lay their first egg. It's quite the investment in time, money, labor, and love to lose them before their first birthday (regularly).

Louder than howler monkeys😂 ‘tis true! I would definitely not want to have them somewhere they needed to be contained. They can jump a 6 ft fence without blinking. They are super good foragers but not afraid of anything which makes them not very predator savvy. I have saved one of my fayoumi hens from a hawks clutches twice! The first time the hawk pecked a hole into her crop which I had to glue shut. The strangest part was that the hen didn’t seem the least put out by any of it... sass galore.
:lau Everything you say is so true! These birds should come with warning labels. I laughed so hard when I read about the crop you had to *glue shut* and that your EF didn't even seem to notice. I'm surprised she didn't scare the hawk off with that screech. Our neighbor's dogs bark very loudly all day long. But that didn't deter our EF from jumping in their yard and getting killed.

The one I need to rehome now is eating all the marijuana plants the other neighbors are growing. And all that weed doesn't slow her down at all. She jumps up on the wall and then drops down on the other side like one of those dragons from _Avatar_. If she had a middle finger, she'd flash it as she dropped down to the buffet yard. She gives me the creeps, too, with her angry little face. Somehow, though, we're really going to miss her when she gets rehomed 💔
IMG_8243.jpeg

I'll never buy another 'production red' type of bird. Ever.
They have such a sweet nature to them that you fall in love, but sadly the breeding stock here in Panama is very poor and most of the pullets are born with reproductive disorders, many dying within just a month or two after starting to lay and some never even manage to successfully lay their first egg. It's quite the investment in time, money, labor, and love to lose them before their first birthday (regularly).
This is so sad:( they need to stop selling those birds. So much work and heart break.

omehow, though, we're really going to miss her when she gets rehomed 💔
I think you hit on really the worst thing about them. So awful and annoying in so many ways but they get under your skin and carve out a place for their bad selves.

Back
Top Bottom