Chicken Canker? Please Help!

CrazyChickenLady16

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2019
I have a 5 or so y/o chicken named Granny. In the past couple of days Granny has developed a very foul smell and yellow cheese like gunk in the corners of her beak. She still eats and drinks but spits up most of it. She has lost a lot of weight. She still lays egg (even though she’s 5!) she is a great little girl and I would hate to loose her. I tried using a q-tip and peroxide to clean it away. It fizzed and bubbled so I think it helped. I’m not sure what exactly it is because it’s on the exterior part of the beak. Is there any low cost remedies to save my Granny, because I’ve lost to many chickens to unknown illnesses in the past. I’m really worried. Any help matters. I’ll take pictures of it tomorrow because she’s sleeping now. Thank you!

You'll need this medicine to treat the canker. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-zole?sku=22154-475

An antibiotic won't work on this disease since it's not bacterial. Have you examined the throat and inside of the mouth to see the extent of the plaque? Is this hen having trouble breathing? It sounds like the esophagus is blocked and that's why she's spitting food and water right back out, or it's painful.

You'll need this medicine to treat the canker. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-zole?sku=22154-475

An antibiotic won't work on this disease since it's not bacterial. Have you examined the throat and inside of the mouth to see the extent of the plaque? Is this hen having trouble breathing? It sounds like the esophagus is blocked and that's why she's spitting food and water right back out, or it's painful.

Thank you for this! I will check her mouth again tomorrow. From what I saw today, it only looked like it was on the outside of the beak. Could she die from this because if her old age? I’m very worried because we are finally getting along. Granny has never liked me and would only stay 3 feet away from me at all times. Now she eats straight from my hand and likes me. The fishzole is very expensive for me (I’m only a teenager) is there anything else I could use? When I touch the “cheese” she winced a little. I’m very very scared and nervous. Thanks again!

She only has trouble breathing when she’s eating. (Which I believe is because of the spit)

Canker is caused by a protozoa, a parasite. A much younger hen might be able to beat this without meds, but Granny is going to need help.

You could try ACV and mashed garlic cloves in her drinking water. It won't cure it, but it could help lessen the discomfort. You can also try giving her coconut oil to try to soften the plaque so you can try to pull some of it out. This can cause slight bleeding since it adheres to the tissue of her tongue and mouth. But she may need you to do this is she's going to be able to swallow.

If worse comes to worse, she may need tube feeding. You can get a catheter and syringe to tube feed for about $3 from any vet. Or if you know an elderly person who regularly uses oxygen, you could ask for their discarded tubing. That's what I use, and it's the perfect size and very soft and flexible.

Canker is caused by a protozoa, a parasite. A much younger hen might be able to beat this without meds, but Granny is going to need help.

You could try ACV and mashed garlic cloves in her drinking water. It won't cure it, but it could help lessen the discomfort. You can also try giving her coconut oil to try to soften the plaque so you can try to pull some of it out. This can cause slight bleeding since it adheres to the tissue of her tongue and mouth. But she may need you to do this is she's going to be able to swallow.

If worse comes to worse, she may need tube feeding. You can get a catheter and syringe to tube feed for about $3 from any vet. Or if you know an elderly person who regularly uses oxygen, you could ask for their discarded tubing. That's what I use, and it's the perfect size and very soft and flexible.

So...if I get this under control soon, she could be saved?

FBA5A34E-85CD-4F0C-9DDD-1443D6DC8055.jpeg
So...if I get this under control soon, she could be saved?
This is what it looks like on both sides. This is the only place on and in her with it

You've checked in her mouth? That's where it likes to colonize. The stuff in the corners of the beak may just be plaque that's been squeezed out.

No one knows the workings of your hen, but if she's always been healthy, and you noticed this at it's beginnings, she will probably recover. It will depend on how strong her immune system is and your supportive care. And five is far from being old. A third of my flock are over seven, with two eight-year olds, a ten-year old and an eleven-year old in good health.

Check back here in the morning and we'll talk about supportive care. And if you can, look inside her mouth and see what the extent of the plaque is.

Back
Top Bottom