Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Are you all set to start tubing? If so, I think you're probably a little nervous about this. So I would begin with a little of the warmed ringers. A fourth of a cup of fluid is about right for most chickens. This will get you both comfortable with the procedure.

After that, both of you rest for half an hour. Then check her crop to see how full it is. My rule of thumb is that most crops on standard size chickens will hold half a cup. So you may safely tube a fourth of a cup of baby bird mix into the crop for this second session. I wait a couple hours and do another feeding if the crop has emptied. Always check the fullness of the crop before tubing anything into a chicken.

The chicken may react to the crop filling by suddenly squirming. Pause until she settles down, but check to be sure her crop isn't already full. Usually, this procedure is well tolerated, and the chicken has a feeling of contentment as you fill the crop. Just be sure not to overfill.

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but when I was sat with a chicken under one arm and a syringe in the other hand, I realised that I'd no idea of how to prise open her beak! And I couldn't see her beak, except from above, and realised I wouldn't get a view of her mouth to know where the syringe was going, even if I got the beak open.
If your husband is willing to help by either holding your hen or inserting the tube, that will make the procedure much easier, especially the first time. As far as opening her beak, pull one wattle gently downward, which will cause her beak to open. She may then pull back and struggle to get you to release her wattle, depending on how much strength she has. If she fights you, keep a gentle hold on the wattle until she quits struggling. At that point it should be easy to correctly insert the feeding tube, even easier if your husband helps you.

Okay, so we just did the first two feeding with a quarter cup of lactated ringers with one half a cc of the poultry nutra drench. I'll let that sit for a little bit. I can't feel anything in her crop and honestly because I've never felt a chicken's crop before but I don't feel anything different from one side to the other. One big concern I have is I saw either mites or lice crawling all over her and that's kind of freaking me out. I saw them when we first picked her up last week and we put diatomaceous earth on her and in her bedding but apparently they're still a lot more. So what can I put on her because I do not need these to get on me or my dogs or cats if that's possible

Okay, so we just did the first two feeding with a quarter cup of lactated ringers with one half a cc of the poultry nutra drench. I'll let that sit for a little bit. I can't feel anything in her crop and honestly because I've never felt a chicken's crop before but I don't feel anything different from one side to the other. One big concern I have is I saw either mites or lice crawling all over her and that's kind of freaking me out. I saw them when we first picked her up last week and we put diatomaceous earth on her and in her bedding but apparently they're still a lot more. So what can I put on her because I do not need these to get on me or my dogs or cats if that's possible
Okay so I just read online that chicken mites and lice are not transferable to humans or dogs and cats. So that aside, I want to get ready to give her this baby bird formula, but looking at the instructions I'm not sure how much to give her. I have a 20cc syringe and I think I read that I should give her 20 cc's three or four times a day. The previous message should have said tube feeding not two

Use a permethrin based product. DE won't get rid of them. If she has them, it's likely all the others do too. All birds and housing will need to be treated.

I like using Gordon's. Here's a link to dilutions.
Post in thread 'Depluming 😭' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/depluming-😭.1515996/post-25732015

Okay so I just read online that chicken mites and lice are not transferable to humans or dogs and cats. So that aside, I want to get ready to give her this baby bird formula, but looking at the instructions I'm not sure how much to give her. I have a 20cc syringe and I think I read that I should give her 20 cc's three or four times a day. The previous message should have said tube feeding not two
You'll likely need closer to 65mls 2-3x daily. Have you looked over any of the links I've posted?

Step 1:
Bring bird inside and place in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal (watch for signs of over-heating).

Step 2:
Weigh the bird

Step 3:
Once warmed, correct hydration, and this should not be done until the bird is warmed up. Tube warmed (102 degrees) Pedialyte or Gatorade at 10-14 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat. If no poop is produced by 3 hours after first two tubings of fluids, repeat once more.

Step 4:
Once the bird is pooping, you can start tubing warmed Kaytee Exact baby bird food or a non-lay crumble (lay crumble has too much calcium). Start by tubing 10-14 ml per pound of body weight and increase a little at each feeding. Do not exceed 23 ml per pound of body weight. Sick birds are tube fed 2-4 times a day.

@Gotalotofpetstoo, you mentioned having lactated ringers. Does this mean you know how to give subcutaneous fluids to cats, dogs, or other animals? If so, you are capable of giving them to your chicken.

I've done sub q fluids on my dog's many many times and I probably have some but it would just be lactated ringers.
OP said she has done so. Hopefully she will soon return to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom