Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

So I've been at work all day (work from home-pet groomer), so I've been trying to do all this in between grooming dogs. I am finally done and going to weigh her, I doubt she even weighs 3 lbs but I'll know for sure shortly. And yes, I have done sub q fluids many times on dogs and cats. She is just so boney I wouldn't know if I was under the skin or where. I'm going to go in and sit down and read thru everything again and again after I weigh her, and watch some more videos on how to find and feel her crop cause I didn't feel anything after the 60ml of lactated ringers we just gave her. I'll report back as soon as I have read thru everything and have her weighed.

Use a permethrin based product. DE won't get rid of them. If she has them, it's likely all the others do too. All birds and housing will need to be treated.

I like using Gordon's. Here's a link to dilutions.
Post in thread 'Depluming 😭' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/depluming-😭.1515996/post-25732015
So I found one of our two local tractor supply stores has Gordon's 10. As in the picture below. I looked at the chart you sent for the delusion and I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking at. I don't mean to sound totally stupid. I'm just very overwhelmed with this on top of a lot else. I just want to do everything I can to help Ethel survive. So once I figure out the dilution rate, if that is the one that I buy, the one in the picture below, it will be mixed in a gallon jug and poured over the chickens? And then just let them run around and dry themselves? And as far as their chicken coop do I mix it the same ratio? And can I put it in a pump sprayer and spray everything that way? I know there are probably a lot of threads on here with all this information and I'm sorry for asking but I'm not real literate at using the sites. I really do appreciate all the information that everyone is passing along to try to help Ethel pull through this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112-193740.png
    Screenshot_20230112-193740.png
    593.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230112-193756.png
    Screenshot_20230112-193756.png
    590.2 KB · Views: 9
So I've been at work all day (work from home-pet groomer), so I've been trying to do all this in between grooming dogs. I am finally done and going to weigh her, I doubt she even weighs 3 lbs but I'll know for sure shortly. And yes, I have done sub q fluids many times on dogs and cats. She is just so boney I wouldn't know if I was under the skin or where. I'm going to go in and sit down and read thru everything again and again after I weigh her, and watch some more videos on how to find and feel her crop cause I didn't feel anything after the 60ml of lactated ringers we just gave her. I'll report back as soon as I have read thru everything and have her weighed.
She is 2 lb 10 oz

What is your location? If it's winter, you may not want to submerge the chickens. Light spraying around and under the neck feathers, wing pits, lower back, and rump, paying special attention to the vent area will probably suffice.

You should verify if you have mites or lice or both. Mites have eight legs, and lice have six. Look at a few under a magnifying lens. If you have mites, the coop will also need to be treated.

What is your location? If it's winter, you may not want to submerge the chickens. Light spraying around and under the neck feathers, wing pits, lower back, and rump, paying special attention to the vent area will probably suffice.

You should verify if you have mites or lice or both. Mites have eight legs, and lice have six. Look at a few under a magnifying lens. If you have mites, the coop will also need to be treated.
I'm trying to figure out if they are lice or mites. My video, only 8 seconds, won't load. I can't tell how many legs they have, even with a magnifier. Is there a reason it matters as far as the treatment I use?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112-203636.png
    Screenshot_20230112-203636.png
    466.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230113_010720963.jpg
    PXL_20230113_010720963.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230112-204500.png
    Screenshot_20230112-204500.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230112-204812.png
    Screenshot_20230112-204812.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230112-204810.png
    Screenshot_20230112-204810.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Get epsom salt, put in like warm water, about a cup in a small tub, bathe her. Magnesium is absorbed through the skin and will invigorate her. Also will help remove any parasites that could be effecting her. Next, dissolve a human magnesium supplement, calcium, and b13 in water. Mix it, and take a dropper, and put down her throat. About a teaspoon to tablespoon every hour. Paralyzed chicken can be a sign of an extreme vitamin deficiency. Watch out for the feeds lately. There is a YouTube video where many feeds lately have stopped chickens from laying and going into extreme molting. Several brands, not just one. Feed this chicken oatmeal with oregano and natural honey. This will bring her back is the issue is feed that has been tampered with. Long story, heads up everyone, watch your chickens, if they start extreme molting, avoid their food, eat little of it, lay less, then the issue may be huge tampered feed. Yes, I am sounding an alarm. So far it’s tractor supply brands, made by purina, and I’ve noticed dogs are not liking their food either. Watch your animals, be prepared to supplement feed altogether. For your water add a capful of apple Cider vinegar to each gallon. This kills bacteria and helps with any contamination in the water for your animals. Be vigilant. I don’t like sounding like an alarmist, but what I’m seeing and others are seeing isn’t good. The feed could be making your chicks sick, heck, even other animals. I hope this helps.

I can't see clearly enough to count the legs. One way you can tell a mite from a louse is to squash them. Lice do not suck blood. They eat dry skin flakes. Mites suck blood and if you smash one, it will leave a red spot.

Mites are a serious danger to chickens as they suck blood and can cause anemia. Most often, mites will only come out at night to feed on the chickens as they conveniently roost. Then the mites return to their dark crevices during the day to sleep it off.

A simple dusting of the chickens with poultry dusting powder containing permetrin, a non-toxic insecticide will take care of lice. It won't kills nits, so you will need to dust again in a week or two to get the ones that hatched.

Mites are usually not treated on the chicken because it's not usual you find them there. Deep treatment with a liquid insecticide such as permetrin, Sevin or spinosad should take care of any mites hiding in the coop.

Bathe the chicken in Luke warm water and white vinegar. Towel dry, then hair dry if necessary. You can use Diamatrious Earth, but be careful and don’t let the chicken inhale it. Clean any coup, spray vinegar everywhere, then spread the D earth, Vaseline your birds feet, vent, and crown, make sure all their fleshy exposed parts are vaselined. This stops mites from biting, regardless of kind. Put apple cider vinegar in their water. One capful per gallon. Makes them inhospitable to internal and external parasites. Won’t harm your bird.

Back
Top Bottom