Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Bless her heart, those latest photos do show her current condition. But still, in the photo where your husband was holding her, she looked very comforted

Absolutely get her into a sling asap. I'm sorry I didn't think to tell you that, but I think/hope I would have when I saw her latest pictures. A sling will not only relieve pressure on her breast bone, but provide mental stimulation since a sling/chair puts her into a more normal "standing" position.

A sling doesn't need to be anything fancy. After a person advised me to get my incapacitated chicken into a sling, I immediately found an old piece of fabric, cut out leg holes, inserted her legs inside the holes and suspended her up off the ground with her feet just barely touching the ground. I never made her anything more fancy because she was content in the first sling I made her. Some birds struggle to escape a sling, but loved it.
20210402_113742.jpg
20210402_100227.jpg

Bless her heart, those latest photos do show her current condition. But still, in the photo where your husband was holding her, she looked very comforted

Absolutely get her into a sling asap. I'm sorry I didn't think to tell you that, but I think/hope I would have when I saw her latest pictures. A sling will not only relieve pressure on her breast bone, but provide mental stimulation since a sling/chair puts her into a more normal "standing" position.

A sling doesn't need to be anything fancy. After a person advised me to get my incapacitated chicken into a sling, I immediately found an old piece of fabric, cut out leg holes, inserted her legs inside the holes and suspended her up off the ground with her feet just barely touching the ground. I never made her anything more fancy because she was content in the first sling I made her. Some birds struggle to escape a sling, but loved it.
View attachment 3380676 View attachment 3380675
Very interesting. I can do that when I get home this evening. For now she is sitting in between a rolled up towel and is holding her head up, not dropped.

Attachments

• PXL_20230120_184337446.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230120_184337446.MP.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 13
I think that is a much better position for her- keep us posted of her progress, continue the fluids and feeding. Were you able to get a vet appointment? She is obviously very well loved and cared for- you are doing a great job of that!
Thank you :)
Do I need to be giving her fluids in addition to the water I am adding to the formula or is that enough? She is getting between 65-75cc of formula 3 x day
And should I continue to keep the room she is in extra warm? I've been keeping it between about 78-80.
I did not get a chance to call the vet before they closed today, but I'm going to call them in the morning and get it set up. Hopefully she probes by the time they can see her 🙏🙏🙏.

Thank you :)
Do I need to be giving her fluids in addition to the water I am adding to the formula or is that enough? She is getting between 65-75cc of formula 3 x day
And should I continue to keep the room she is in extra warm? I've been keeping it between about 78-80.
I did not get a chance to call the vet before they closed today, but I'm going to call them in the morning and get it set up. Hopefully she probes by the time they can see her 🙏🙏🙏.
I think you can also give her fluids in addition to the feed, maybe water with nutridrench mixed in. The ratio will be on the bottle. I hope you are able to call the vet and get an appointment soon. You have stabilized her as best as you can, but there is clearly something else going on. As for the temperature, chickens run about 10 degrees hotter than us, so I wouldn't keep it more than 70 for her. Keep up the great work!

I think you can also give her fluids in addition to the feed, maybe water with nutridrench mixed in. The ratio will be on the bottle. I hope you are able to call the vet and get an appointment soon. You have stabilized her as best as you can, but there is clearly something else going on. As for the temperature, chickens run about 10 degrees hotter than us, so I wouldn't keep it more than 70 for her. Keep up the great work!
Thank you. And she gets a dropper full of nutri-drench with each feeding. So should I give her 65-80.cc of lactated ringers 3 x day at the same time as her feeding? That seems like a lot at one time to be putting in to her crop. And thank you for the temp suggestion. I'm happy to cut that heater down, it's been so warm on there :)

Thank you. And she gets a dropper full of nutri-drench with each feeding. So should I give her 65-80.cc of lactated ringers 3 x day at the same time as her feeding? That seems like a lot at one time to be putting in to her crop. And thank you for the temp suggestion. I'm happy to cut that heater down, it's been so warm on there :)
I am not sure on the dosage- so hoping someone more experienced chimes in here.

Back
Top Bottom