Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Cradle the bird in your forearm. Use your free hand to grab the preloaded syringe without needle.
Use your thumb and fingers on the bird you're cradling and firmly pull down on the wattles and her mouth will open.
Using your free hand, quickly shoot the liquid in the syringe in her mouth and at the same time release her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont immediately let go of the wattles, the bird can aspirate.
Do not administer more than 1/2ml at a time. It's best to practice it in this manner without actually giving the liquid until you get the hang of it.
@Wyorp Rock in reading on how to administer the Safeguard for goats, which I actually happen to have, I saw where you said in the another members post that the dosage is .23ml per lb of body weight. Ethel weighs 3 lbs, so that would be .69ml for 5 days in a row, but the above instructions say not to give more than 1/2ml at a time. So does that mean I should do the .5ml, then follow up with the balance of .19ml immediately, or later in the day?

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock in reading on how to administer the Safeguard for goats, which I actually happen to have, I saw where you said in the another members post that the dosage is .23ml per lb of body weight. Ethel weighs 3 lbs, so that would be .69ml for 5 days in a row, but the above instructions say not to give more than 1/2ml at a time. So does that mean I should do the .5ml, then follow up with the balance of .19ml immediately, or later in the day?
The reason you dose no more than 1/2ml at a time orally is anything more than that, there's a higher risk that the bird will aspirate, and you dont want that to happen.
Simply dose 1/2ml at a time, immediately reload your syringe and dose again a second time on the spot. No need to wait later in the day.
This is why I prefer Valbazen, only 2 doses. The initial dose, then the second dose 10-14 days later. Done.

The reason you dose no more than 1/2ml at a time orally is anything more than that, there's a higher risk that the bird will aspirate, and you dont want that to happen.
Simply dose 1/2ml at a time, immediately reload your syringe and dose again a second time on the spot. No need to wait later in the day.
This is why I prefer Valbazen, only 2 doses. The initial dose, then the second dose 10-14 days later. Done.
I wish the valbenzen came in a smaller bottle than 500ml. That would be nice to just do 2 doses. I guess I'll stick with the Safeguard this time at least and just be really careful. She has gotten a lot stronger since we initially started tube feeding her but I think between myself and my husband we can hold her still enough to get it in her mouth letting go quick enough that she swallows it properly. Now I'm actually kind of scared to do this but I know she needs to be wormed. Ugh!!!
Is the best way to do it by pulling her wattle to make her open her mouth and just squirt it towards the back of her mouth or the front of her beak? Can it be mixed in with some of her tube feeding formula and given that way? I'm so scared of making her aspirate now after all she has been through and is doing so well.

I was sad today when I talked to the poultry dept at the NC dept of Agriculture and told there is not a LIVE test that can be done on chickens for Marek's. The web page I found in my searching from Pfizer was from 2011, so, I will not be able to find out for about 10 more years after she passes away (I know, I can dream tho). Guess that also means I won't he getting her any seeing eye chicks, even if they are "said" to be vaccinated, I would hate it 8f it wasn't done properly and have it and pass it along to her, IF that isn't already her reason for this illness. We'll just take things a day at a time now. If anyone is in Western NC and knows of a reliable hatchery, feel free to pass their info on to me and maybe Ethel will be able to get her seeing eye chicks.

I was sad today when I talked to the poultry dept at the NC dept of Agriculture and told there is not a LIVE test that can be done on chickens for Marek's. The web page I found in my searching from Pfizer was from 2011, so, I will not be able to find out for about 10 more years after she passes away (I know, I can dream tho). Guess that also means I won't he getting her any seeing eye chicks, even if they are "said" to be vaccinated, I would hate it 8f it wasn't done properly and have it and pass it along to her, IF that isn't already her reason for this illness. We'll just take things a day at a time now. If anyone is in Western NC and knows of a reliable hatchery, feel free to pass their info on to me and maybe Ethel will be able to get her seeing eye chicks.
There is actually a live test you can do. There is a lab and Texas you can send samples too and they will do a pcr test. We just did this last month and from that test confirmed our fears that we have Mareks. You order the Mareks test kit from their site it’s 18 dollars and they will send you 3 test kits for 3 birds. One is for a swab the other for blood. You fill out the included form for what you want tested, Mareks is 20 dollars. We overnighted our test kit and I had my results in my email 2 days later.

We called the company prior to doing this and they were extremely nice I would recommend it to anyone who wants answers. I have included the link to the test kit.

https://www.vetdna.com/products

Ethel likes her new feeder 😊

Attachments

• 63960~2.jpeg
    63960~2.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 9
There is actually a live test you can do. There is a lab and Texas you can send samples too and they will do a pcr test. We just did this last month and from that test confirmed our fears that we have Mareks. You order the Mareks test kit from their site it’s 18 dollars and they will send you 3 test kits for 3 birds. One is for a swab the other for blood. You fill out the included form for what you want tested, Mareks is 20 dollars. We overnighted our test kit and I had my results in my email 2 days later.

We called the company prior to doing this and they were extremely nice I would recommend it to anyone who wants answers. I have included the link to the test kit.

https://www.vetdna.com/products
I am going to call them tomorrow, but so I don't sound too stupid, how does one get a blood sample from a chicken?

The usual way to get a blood sample is to "quick" a toenail to cause it to bleed. It's important to wear gloves and make certain the sample isn't contaminated. Whichever lab you use should be helpful in answering your questions over the phone, and the test kit you receive should also have clear instructions. My understanding is that the blood sample must be received and tested within 24 hours of the blood draw to ensure the result is valid.

Back
Top Bottom