Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Any thoughts on how much more time we might have with her and what I need to be looking for to know when her time is up?
My Maggie was 18 months old when she had two large lash ‘eggs’. She lives for just over two years after that and even went back to normal laying.

I am sorry that Ethel laid a lash egg. I do not have any experience with that but I do have experience with implants. My black sex link Jolene had EYP or internal laying. I had put her on the implant but it was too late and she didn't recover. As sad as it was she died with us in her coop the way she wanted to go. I did help another BYC friend with advice on implants and her hen Mocha lived to the ripe age of six! So a much more successful situation. Please read this post for further information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/conversations/implant-for-eyp.1196946/
I tried the link but I think it was a private conversation so I couldn’t read it.
I don’t want to distract this thread but I am pondering an implant for one of mine and am looking for any advice.
I would really appreciate you weighing in on my thread which I think I can attach here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-egg-bound-will-she-grow-out-of-it.1570173/

She seems to be herself. Still eating well and talking to us as usual.
Glad to hear that! This time of year you will see egg production increase due to the longer days and natural cycle of a hen wanting to have spring babies. I would try not to worry and enjoy every day with her continuing to do what you do because it is obviously working! If you couldn't read the link I provided, please try the below. If you have any questions on the implant feel free to message me directly. Please tell Miss Ethel I say hello!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-with-egg-peritonitis-laying-anymore.643985/

Go Ethel Go! That is a starting to sound like a much healthier weight. Is that all on her own or are you still tube feeding her? I am happy to hear the progress she is making!
That is on her own. We did tube feed her for a little while til life got so busy I rarely have time to even turn around. We are monitoring her weight closely and her behavior, as I am very concerned about this salpingitis and the fact it is egg laying season.

@mrskenmore
So my question is to anyone that has experience with the implants, how expensive was it? The vet I took her to back in February just quoted me $80 for the office visit, $260 for the implant and $25 for the sedation. The sedation scares me. Not sure why they have to sedate her to stick a needle with a implant, If it's just like a microchip maybe? Or is it more than that? I'm pretty sure if I take her back to that same vet, which I know a lot of you thought that he seemed very knowledgeable and compassionate and such when I posted the voice recording of her visit to the vet, but I really didn't like him and I guess maybe it was because he took her in the back without me being able to be there, he came back out and basically told me to euthanize her and having a necropsy done, so if I feel like I take her back to him that he will either tell me she's not a good candidate for the implant or he just won't take me seriously. If I didn't have all of you guys and your expertise, I probably would have taken his advice and done that, but I'm so thankful I didn't because look at the time I have got to spend with her and how well she is recovered up to this point. I know she just had a lash egg and I understand what that can lead to, but I was thinking maybe the implant would stop her body from trying to produce any more eggs and therefore hopefully extend her life. Am I my thinking along the right lines? Or am I reading into this implant thing incorrectly? I think I've also read sometimes that the implant doesn't work, so I'm not sure if I should even consider it? What are y'all's thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom