Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
@mrskenmore
So my question is to anyone that has experience with the implants, how expensive was it? The vet I took her to back in February just quoted me $80 for the office visit, $260 for the implant and $25 for the sedation. The sedation scares me. Not sure why they have to sedate her to stick a needle with a implant, If it's just like a microchip maybe? Or is it more than that? I'm pretty sure if I take her back to that same vet, which I know a lot of you thought that he seemed very knowledgeable and compassionate and such when I posted the voice recording of her visit to the vet, but I really didn't like him and I guess maybe it was because he took her in the back without me being able to be there, he came back out and basically told me to euthanize her and having a necropsy done, so if I feel like I take her back to him that he will either tell me she's not a good candidate for the implant or he just won't take me seriously. If I didn't have all of you guys and your expertise, I probably would have taken his advice and done that, but I'm so thankful I didn't because look at the time I have got to spend with her and how well she is recovered up to this point. I know she just had a lash egg and I understand what that can lead to, but I was thinking maybe the implant would stop her body from trying to produce any more eggs and therefore hopefully extend her life. Am I my thinking along the right lines? Or am I reading into this implant thing incorrectly? I think I've also read sometimes that the implant doesn't work, so I'm not sure if I should even consider it? What are y'all's thoughts?

So my hen was a black sex link (production breed- 3 years old) who was quite sick and winded up dying 5 days after the implant was put in her. I think she may have been too far gone for it to save her, but it was worth the shot. The implant was around $300 and I went to Dr. Monaco in Plainview, NY.

It was a simple shot in her breast that she didn't have to be put under anesthesia for. She was retaining a lot of fluid weeks before the implant and I had to bring her almost every week to have her drained. The last time he drained her he took over 16 oz out of her. I know that we had done everything for her, but as mentioned she was a black sex link that was going to be 3 years old at the end of the month. I think that her genetics finally got to the best of her and she passed away.

There are several people on this site that have had the implants and they work wonders on healthy hens. The implant would have lasted around 6 months I was told.

At the end of the day, you need to do what is best for you and her. There is no guarantee that it will work, and you will always need to be on the watch that she is not at point of lay and take her back for more implants. I was glad I did it back in 2017, because I really felt I did everything I could to save her. She was my first hen and my husband's favorite. 17 hens and nine years later I would not necessarily do the implant. As much as I loved her and didn't want to lose her, the implant was just delaying the inevitable as sad as that sounds.

Unfortunately death is a part of life and eventually all our hens will fly to the big chicken coop in the sky. All that being said weigh your options and make a decision. If you don't feel comfortable with that vet, go to another. She does not need to be put under anesthesia. Mine did not and I was able to be with her the whole time. It was quick and simple.

Lastly for what it's worth I would wait to see if the lash egg was a one off and just continue to keep her happy and enjoy her company. You really have done a fantastic job and should be proud of that. Not only did you practically bring her back from the beyond, you stabilized her and are giving her a great quality of life!

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

Please tell Miss Ethel I said hello!!

Enclosing a picture of Jolene my sex link hen who was a force and fantastic flock leader 🥰

20160109_150856_IMG_8596.JPG

Attachments

• PXL_20230406_002410376~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002410376~2.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230406_002413363~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002413363~2.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230406_002420971~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002420971~2.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20230406_002501958~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002501958~2.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230406_002505084~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002505084~2.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230406_002530966~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002530966~2.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230406_002544689~2.jpg
    PXL_20230406_002544689~2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 6
So my hen was a black sex link (production breed- 3 years old) who was quite sick and winded up dying 5 days after the implant was put in her. I think she may have been too far gone for it to save her, but it was worth the shot. The implant was around $300 and I went to Dr. Monaco in Plainview, NY.

It was a simple shot in her breast that she didn't have to be put under anesthesia for. She was retaining a lot of fluid weeks before the implant and I had to bring her almost every week to have her drained. The last time he drained her he took over 16 oz out of her. I know that we had done everything for her, but as mentioned she was a black sex link that was going to be 3 years old at the end of the month. I think that her genetics finally got to the best of her and she passed away.

There are several people on this site that have had the implants and they work wonders on healthy hens. The implant would have lasted around 6 months I was told.

At the end of the day, you need to do what is best for you and her. There is no guarantee that it will work, and you will always need to be on the watch that she is not at point of lay and take her back for more implants. I was glad I did it back in 2017, because I really felt I did everything I could to save her. She was my first hen and my husband's favorite. 17 hens and nine years later I would not necessarily do the implant. As much as I loved her and didn't want to lose her, the implant was just delaying the inevitable as sad as that sounds.

Unfortunately death is a part of life and eventually all our hens will fly to the big chicken coop in the sky. All that being said weigh your options and make a decision. If you don't feel comfortable with that vet, go to another. She does not need to be put under anesthesia. Mine did not and I was able to be with her the whole time. It was quick and simple.

Lastly for what it's worth I would wait to see if the lash egg was a one off and just continue to keep her happy and enjoy her company. You really have done a fantastic job and should be proud of that. Not only did you practically bring her back from the beyond, you stabilized her and are giving her a great quality of life!

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

Please tell Miss Ethel I said hello!!

Enclosing a picture of Jolene my sex link hen who was a force and fantastic flock leader 🥰

View attachment 3456126
She sure was beautiful. I think I will hold off and see if she has another lash egg and hope I know what signs to look for that she may be trying to lay. I know. If it is her time then it will be her time and the implant could just be putting off the inevitable, with her being my first chicken and actually being able to help save her. I just want to know that I've done everything possible to give her the longest and happiest life I can. I'm also concerned that if I do the implant and she were to pass shortly after, I might feel like I made the wrong decision. So I'm going to have to think on it and I will probably call a few other vets. There are no others in the direct area but there are some within an hour. Do y'all think she would be okay to travel for an hour if I decided to come through with it?

@mrskenmore
So my question is to anyone that has experience with the implants, how expensive was it? The vet I took her to back in February just quoted me $80 for the office visit, $260 for the implant and $25 for the sedation. The sedation scares me. Not sure why they have to sedate her to stick a needle with a implant, If it's just like a microchip maybe? Or is it more than that? I'm pretty sure if I take her back to that same vet, which I know a lot of you thought that he seemed very knowledgeable and compassionate and such when I posted the voice recording of her visit to the vet, but I really didn't like him and I guess maybe it was because he took her in the back without me being able to be there, he came back out and basically told me to euthanize her and having a necropsy done, so if I feel like I take her back to him that he will either tell me she's not a good candidate for the implant or he just won't take me seriously. If I didn't have all of you guys and your expertise, I probably would have taken his advice and done that, but I'm so thankful I didn't because look at the time I have got to spend with her and how well she is recovered up to this point. I know she just had a lash egg and I understand what that can lead to, but I was thinking maybe the implant would stop her body from trying to produce any more eggs and therefore hopefully extend her life. Am I my thinking along the right lines? Or am I reading into this implant thing incorrectly? I think I've also read sometimes that the implant doesn't work, so I'm not sure if I should even consider it? What are y'all's thoughts?
This study suggests that progesterone oral contraceptives will have a similar effect to the implant. They would be cheaper and easier to administer.
In some countries and some US States you can get them without a prescription - though you do have to answer some health questions so it is a bit questionable!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3273612/

I have been amazed at how well chickens handled riding in my truck. None have ever shown any reactions or concerns at all, and I've transported quite a few.

As far as whatever decision you make re hormone implants, I think mrskenmore gave you excellent input and advice. I also think that no matter what you decide, it will be human nature to second-guess yourself after the fact. Go with your instinct and intuition. Since it's impossible to foretell the future, that's the very best you can do.

So, I'm sad. Ethel had another lash egg today. I pictured it below. Please anyone that has had experience with these or just knows enough about these, please tell me what I need to be watching for like really closely watching for. For. Obviously I know if she isn't eating well or starts losing weight or even if her poop starts looking odd. But what else can I really look for to know when we're headed for trouble? I mean, obviously she's having lash eggs so that's not good. But I'm assuming that she cannot just continue having them without something eventually going wrong? I was so hoping the first would be the only one.

Attachments

• PXL_20230407_213407604.jpg
    PXL_20230407_213407604.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230407_213432693.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230407_213432693.MP.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom