Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
I wouldn't take her off the roost if she put herself up there. They usually get in a position or place where they feel most comfortable.

I would try the antibiotic as suggested to see if that helps with infection. I'd also get some extra calcium into her and see that she's drinking well and eating normally.

I understand that you feel something in the abdomen below the vent between the legs, whether that's some lash material in the abdominal cavity, a tumor, etc. it's hard to know.
It looks like when you press on her abdomen it does cause her some discomfort or she's not keen on the action, so I'd limit that activity.

If what you are feeling is has dropped into abdomen cavity, then it will not come out the vent.
If she's trying to expel another lash egg, lash material then it will come out the vent if not too large.

Personally, I'd wait and see if she's able to pass the material.

1681148922202.jpeg

I wouldn't take her off the roost if she put herself up there. They usually get in a position or place where they feel most comfortable.

I would try the antibiotic as suggested to see if that helps with infection. I'd also get some extra calcium into her and see that she's drinking well and eating normally.

I understand that you feel something in the abdomen below the vent between the legs, whether that's some lash material in the abdominal cavity, a tumor, etc. it's hard to know.
It looks like when you press on her abdomen it does cause her some discomfort or she's not keen on the action, so I'd limit that activity.

If what you are feeling is has dropped into abdomen cavity, then it will not come out the vent.
If she's trying to expel another lash egg, lash material then it will come out the vent if not too large.

View attachment 3462421
So what is considered or where, is the abdomen in a chicken, I don't see it on the diagram. Diagram. What I am feeling is below her vent and in between her legs but maybe farther back. It is the same feeling that I felt the end of January when I thought she had a tumor, and the same thing. I felt when I took her to the vet and he felt it also instead it was likely tumor. I guess I'm a little disappointed that he didn't reach in there and feel it or do any more than tell me to kill her and having a necropsy done. Maybe if we had we could have started treating her sooner or maybe not.
As far as her getting on the perch herself, she did not. We always put her there when we take her outside for the day since she is blind so she can easily find her food. Also, when I was feeling of that mass in the video she fell forward because she lost her balance which she does on occasion being that she is blind. I'll give her till tonight or in the morning and hope she passes something at least. I really appreciate the input all of you are giving me. And Ethel.

The abdomen of a chicken is the lower part of the body between the legs just in front and back of the legs. The problem with trying to reach inside the vent with your fingers to grab an egg is the egg may still be sitting in the shell gland (uterus), and you wouldn't be able to retrieve it from there. Even an egg stuck in the cloaca can't be retrieved as there is no room to get your fingers in there to grasp it.

Your best course of action is as @Wyorp Rock says, give the antibiotic since it's a ninety-five percent probability she has a reproductive infection going on, either from peritonitis or infection in the oviduct. Giving her a calcium tablet is also a good idea if it's an egg she needs to push out.

@Gotalotofpetstoo , IF the information posted in the article linked several posts ago is correct, the lash material Ethel passed is viral. I dont have any salpingtitis photos from my own home necrosies to post right now because i haven't transferred old photos to my new phone yet, but the "onion layers" are unmistakable. Whether the article is correct or not, you have nothing to lose by treating with cephalexin.

Has anyone told you that the best calcium tablet is calcium citrate 600mg with vitamin D? You can buy it otc at Walmart or any pharmacy.

@Gotalotofpetstoo , IF the information posted in the article linked several posts ago is correct, the lash material Ethel passed is viral. I dont have any salpingtitis photos from my own home necrosies to post right now because i haven't transferred old photos to my new phone yet, but the "onion layers" are unmistakable. Whether the article is correct or not, you have nothing to lose by treating with cephalexin.

Has anyone told you that the best calcium tablet is calcium citrate 600mg with vitamin D? You can buy it otc at Walmart or any pharmacy.
The only one I am finding, even at Walmart is either Calcium "Citrate" 600mg with No Vitamin D, of Calcium "Carbonate" 600mg With Vitamin D. Does it matter if it is "citrate" or "carbonate"? I want to order this before I go to bed so it can be delivered in the morning.
*** Also, how many and how often per day do I give her ***

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411-005219.png
    Screenshot_20230411-005219.png
    469 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230411-005201.png
    Screenshot_20230411-005201.png
    478.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230411-005145.png
    Screenshot_20230411-005145.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230411-005130.png
    Screenshot_20230411-005130.png
    568.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230411-004730.png
    Screenshot_20230411-004730.png
    479.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230411-004704.png
    Screenshot_20230411-004704.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230411-005555.png
    Screenshot_20230411-005555.png
    662 KB · Views: 5
Get the calcium citrate. It is what I recommend for hen reproductive crises because this form acts much quicker than the other kinds.

Then order a bottle of D3 and when you pop the calcium pill follow with the tinier D3 gel cap. The D enhances the absorption of the calcium. It's the difference between a 20% absorption of the calcium without the D and 40-50% absorption with the D.

View attachment 3462421
@Wyorp Rock
@azygous
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@mrskenmore

The area circled in red is where I am feeling the mass. Same place I felt one in January, but then it went away, and she definitely never passed a lash egg back then if it would've looked anything like these last 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411-010459.png
    Screenshot_20230411-010459.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Get the calcium citrate. It is what I recommend for hen reproductive crises because this form acts much quicker than the other kinds.

Then order a bottle of D3 and when you pop the calcium pill follow with the tinier D3 gel cap. The D enhances the absorption of the calcium. It's the difference between a 20% absorption of the calcium without the D and 40-50% absorption with the D.
Thank you. How many per day/how often do I give It to her?

Back
Top Bottom