Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
The cobra gyrations is most commonly caused by a crop disorder, usually sour crop or yeast. It caused very uncomfortable sensations and a chicken will move their neck trying to make it less uncomfortable.

No, wry neck is not usually treated with an antibiotic. Wry neck is neurological and is treated with vitamin E capsules. Give one directly into her beak with a sliver of selenium or a little cooked egg.
Any probiotics will work. I get mine from the people vitamin at the store.

Agree with Azygous on this one. Also, are you still tube feeding her or is she eating on her own again?
We are still tube feeding her. As far as a crop disorder or yeast infection, doesn't a crop disorder cause them to have a very bad smell in their mouth, cuz she doesn't. And how would I know if she had a yeast infection? I don't see anything in her mouth that looks unusual.

The cobra gyrations is most commonly caused by a crop disorder, usually sour crop or yeast. It caused very uncomfortable sensations and a chicken will move their neck trying to make it less uncomfortable.

No, wry neck is not usually treated with an antibiotic. Wry neck is neurological and is treated with vitamin E capsules. Give one directly into her beak with a sliver of selenium or a little cooked egg.
Any probiotics will work. I get mine from the people vitamin at the store.
So is it okay to start the probiotics while she is still taking the cephalexin antibiotic and continue both together indefinitely?

I see no harm in giving the probiotic along with an antibiotic. I've done this and seen no downside. But I question giving the cephalexin indefinitely. It risks becoming ineffective as bacteria develops resistance and also can create a new infection from these bacteria.

I see no harm in giving the probiotic along with an antibiotic. I've done this and seen no downside. But I question giving the cephalexin indefinitely. It risks becoming ineffective as bacteria develops resistance and also can create a new infection from these bacteria.
I will start her on the probiotic then and stop the cephalexin for a bit as long as I don't see any negative effects from stopping it like I did before, hopefully not. Thank you
Also, I've looked at all the different side effects of crop disorders and yeast infections and she just really doesn't seem to have any at all. Other than reduced appetite, but I'm guessing that is because we are tube feeding her. Her breast smells good. There's nothing in her mouth, her crop empties regularly, her poop is a bit liquidy and green but there again, I assume that's because we are tube feeding her.

I have attached to video below. I tried to do the YouTube thing and I was actually successful in getting it on YouTube but I forgot to spell check and so it says to watch her feet chatter instead of her beak and I don't know how to get it from YouTube over here so I'm posting it here. My concern is if you watch the video how her beak is chattering. It is like she wants to eat but takes the bite and stops because of whatever is going on. Does this look familiar to anyone?
Another thing, I was trying to in here to see if I could find anything on it, but I can't find the search anymore on my homepage, has something changed recently? I was thinking they're used to be a little magnifying glass for the search tool?
Anyway, Ethel is still doing great but I'm hoping not to have to tube feed her indefinitely because I will be leaving for a week in October leaving my husband home to take care of her and everyone else and I just don't know if he's going to be able to tube feed her by himself. She's quite the feisty little gal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/49qeHTPWSViDsXS66

I don't see any obvious reason for concern; it looks like to me she gets a taste of the food and decides the taste doesn't impress her. But I will wait to see what others say.
I tend to agree and I wanted to say that given what Ethel has been through its obvious she is thriving in your care. Her coloring is good, she is holding herself up nicely and she is very alert and interested in things. Enjoy your weekend and give yourself a well deserved pat on the back and enjoy another beautiful day in the garden with Ethel! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom