Chicken cant walk?!

Ye she probably does have ascites but she is showing signs of coccodiosis too

If she can barely walk due to fluid in her belly this is serious. Hopefully someone can advise on possible treatments. When birds are that sick other illnesses can take hold.

This is more of a reproductive disorder and ascites. Her tail position is down, the belly large, and it can be common to have trouble pooping, or have frequent liquid poops. Hens who look like that are not usually laying. I doubt that she has coccidiosis, but hard to know without testing her droppings. Corid would not hurt her. Coccidiosis is usually seen in young chickens, and they normally build up a tolerance to the coccidia organism in their area.

I would try to keep her comfortable and offer foods that she will take. If she appears to be suffering, I would think about putting her down. Then either do a necropsy yourself and take pictures of your findings, or send her body to your state vet for one.

This is more of a reproductive disorder and ascites. Her tail position is down, the belly large, and it can be common to have trouble pooping, or have frequent liquid poops. Hens who look like that are not usually laying. I doubt that she has coccidiosis, but hard to know without testing her droppings. Corid would not hurt her. Coccidiosis is usually seen in young chickens, and they normally build up a tolerance to the coccidia organism in their area.

I would try to keep her comfortable and offer foods that she will take. If she appears to be suffering, I would think about putting her down. Then either do a necropsy yourself and take pictures of your findings, or send her body to your state vet for one.
Ok people say that after giving corid you usually see improvemnt after the first day so if she doesnt improve after 2 days i will most likely put her down, she is however starting to walk around after giving her some in her water but i dont think medicine works that quickly.

I would recommend doing a necropsy (autopsy) on her if you put her down. That way you can look at the organs and may see what was happening to her. Ascites fluid is usually yellow to dark amber. Inside the abdomen, you may find lash egg material, not really an egg, but flesh colored material of infection and egg material. There also could be cancer or spots on the liver. Take pictures if you can.

Back
Top Bottom