Chicken chasin'

Tips for catching your chickens without scaring them and looking like a crazy person? We moved them for the first time yesterday. It was...comedy. :lau
Treats and food and slowly approach and redirect with a few people. Mine do anything for food :) occasionally that last chicken you leave until night fall and hope you can scoop it up and put it into the coop.

Yeah I've been there, be careful, when you fall down the birds all laugh at you. :gig

But seriously, definitely use food and treats to lure them into the coop. They can't refuse. As they grow up and mature, leaning over them will have them "squatting" for you and the running from you generally ends.

Good luck!

x3. Easier to train them to come to you, than you going to them. It's as simple as shaking a treat container or a bag (or using a consistent verbal command) and then throwing down a small amount of treats. Repeat it 2-3x a day and they'll pick it up very quickly.

If these are very young birds or older birds that have not been handled at all, they'll need a few days to settle down first and get used to you walking around them, so may not take to treats immediately.

My birds come for treats & are always under feet when I'm in the run, but I don't handle them unless necessary so they run & freak if I try to pick them up. I use a big fish net to catch them if I have to. Or just do what I need to when on the roost at night - then they don't usually protest too much.

If I just need to herd them somewhere I walk slowly & calmly with a long stick. That works well.

To handle them without panicking them you'll have to handle them a lot & bribe with treats like everyone here has said.

Well mine are lap chickens so they don’t mind being picked up and they are trained to come when called for treats makes putting them away super easy they stand still on my hand for the most part unless something freaks them out then I might have to hold them a little harder!

Tips for catching your chickens without scaring them and looking like a crazy person? We moved them for the first time yesterday. It was...comedy. :lau
I can't help with you looking crazy; that goes with chicken keeping I'm afraid.:D
Reads like a strange question, but why do you want to catch them?
The why and when makes a difference to which approach may work best.

Back
Top Bottom