Chicken Chatten's Flock

ChickenChatten

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
I've been wanting to start a thread about my chickens for some time now, and considering that I just received nine two-day old chicks last Wednesday, I thought it would be a perfect time for me to start on this so that you could follow these chicks with me as they grow and develop.

This is my second batch of chicks that I will have raised. Last year around March, was my first experience with chickens, and my outcome of that is now my current flock out in the coop, consisting of five hens and one rooster, but we'll get to them in good time. For now, this thread will be focused around my cute little chicks; I figured I'd better start it while they were young; before they become fuzzy, gangly dinosaurs on the brink of adulthood.

So, anyhow, my chicks! Here they are, the majority of them together. We keep them in our garage in a watering tank, which seems to be working from my experience.

Please keep in mind that I'm definitely no photographer.

I ordered these chicks from My Pet Chicken Hatchery, and I was very pleased with the results! They arrived two days after they shipped from Utah, with no DOA, and all of them appear to be very healthy and active. The three breeds I purchased this time were Salmon Faverolles, Silver-laced Cochins, and Olive Eggers, three of each chick. I'm very excited to see how they'll look when they mature! I've never had any of these breeds before.

Now, time to get to know the chickens a little more personally. I'm the only one in my family who can tell them apart, but every body in my family was allowed to name a few. And that's how we ended up with Bonquesha.

Bonquesha is a Salmon Faverolles, and she is a bundle of energy. She sprints around the brooder as fast as she can, and for no apparent reason. She detests being held; she squirms and shrieks; demanding that she be set down so that she can return to completing her laps; which is why I've been working on holding her more and more, in hopes that she'll get used to it and won't avoid human contact when she's older. All of these pictures were taken the day I got them, so she's only two days old in this picture.

Bonquesha was named by my teenage brother of course. We all enjoyed a good laugh when she was eating her crumbles and stuck her whole head into the opening of the feeder. I was very concerned she would get stuck with it like that, but after a few seconds she recoiled and went back to eating food like a regular chick.

Andromeda is easily recognized by her black beak. I believe she's an Olive Egger, and she's a very sweet chick. She's so far been the only chick to have pasty butt, and she even handled that horrible experience relatively well when I had to wipe her clean. Unlike Bonquesha, she is perfectly fine with being handled, and I believe she even enjoys it to as much of a degree as a hyper young chick can.

I can already tell that she's going to be beautiful when she's older. She's very easy to distinguish; not only by her black beak but because none of our other chicks look a bit like her. What I love about Olive Eggers; and Easter Eggers alike (which some of my original Flock consists of), is that its a mystery as to what she will look like when she's older.

Coriander is a Silver-laced Cochin. I've found my three Cochins to all be very easy-going and gentle already. I absolutely adore their furry legs, which while the Faverolles have them too, they aren't nearly as noticeable. Coriander is the odd one out of my three cochins, as the other two are almost identical, and I've had a very hard time telling them apart. Coriander is distinguishable by her light colored face, which the other cochins don't have.

Ivy is one of my twin Silver-laced Cochin. She's a very cute little chick, and loves being held, which makes things difficult for me. As much as I love her I don't really want the droppings suck on her leg fluff to rub off on me. Ivy is the smallest of the Cochins that I have, though I'm not certain at all that it will stay that way. Bonquesha is our littlest chick and I believe that Ivy is second to her.

Lily is a very dark colored Olive Egger. Though she'll do her best to avoid being held, she's very calm and still when I do hold her. She has been growing in her wings probably the quickest out of my chicks. By tomorrow, the chicks will be one week old, so they do look a bit different than they do in their two-day old pictures. Lily's wings are very feathered, and she's starting to have little feathers poke out of her tail as well!

Meringue is a friendly little Salmon Faverolles. Her personality is much different than her roommate Bonquesha. She's easy-going and calm. I tell my Faverolles apart by their heads, their the only breed that I had to mark to tell apart. With a non-toxic green sharpie, I marked the top of her head, though by now I would probably be able to tell her apart from the others just by their personality. They're all quite different!

Please ignore the Cochin being her leaving a mark on her picture. I'm sure little Olive; the cleverly named Olive Egger, would not appreciate her first impression to be seen next to... that. Olive was a more difficult chick to photograph. Though she would sit still for me; for some reason all of her photos would turn out fuzzy, which is why it resulted in this lovely photo. Don't be fooled though, Olive is a beauty! She's sweet, though she likes to hang around Bonquesha for some reason unknown to me.

Ophelia is a sweet fuzzy little Salmon Faverolles. She's the less spirited of her kind, and also the most fuzzy. I was a little worried about her when she first arrived as she wasn't so active as the other chicks were and spent most of her time by herself under the heat lamp. I believe she is doing much better now though, she's plump and healthy, and hangs out with the other chicks as well.

Last but not least is Ivy's twin, Willow! Willow, much like the other Cochins, is very gentle and calm. I'm still struggling to tell her and Ivy apart however, I hope that will become more clear as she ages. Willow was, ultimately the first chick that I fell in love with; as she was the first one that I picked up.

Thank you if you bothered to read through all of my ramblings! I apologize that this is so long. I promise it wont' be like this every time that I post, I just wanted to get the descriptions of each chick up, so that as we progress in this story, you may check back for a brief summary of each chick. Don't count on the pictures though, their appearances have already changed!

The chicks are growing at a ridiculous rate. They don't bother for attention anymore - no their already through with rubbing and strokes, they now revolve their lives around eating, sprinting at top speeds around the brooder, and trying to figure out how to get out of the brooder.

So far one has succeeded, in which I quickly had to turn my attention away from their new neighbor to quickly snatch them and put them back where they belong. I guess I can no longer leave them alone without a cover over the top of their enclosure!

They are also seemingly uninterested in their new neighbor, though I believe they are brewing up some jealousy from her much larger enclosure.

They're neighbor is one of the hens from my flock, a lovely Easter Egger who absolutely despises me. She hadn't been doing well - no appetite, and suffering from seizures, but after a lot of care she is doing much better now. Not quite ready to move out of the garage yet however.

The chicks are also very envious of her miraculously fully-feathered body. While they are in a large hurry to grow out their feathers, they aren't anywhere near the finished product.

Bonquesha, Willow, and Olive serve as fine representatives for their breeds. I've never had cochins before, and I am absolutely in love with their feathered feet! I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Also, thank you for anyone who has commented; I really appreciate that you took the time to read this.

The chicks are doing very well! I have no pictures for this post, but will have more tomorrow, as they'll be three weeks old!
celebrate.gif

Since my ill hen, Sapphire has recovered and been successfully integrated back to the rest of my flock, the chicks have been moved into her much larger enclosure, and they aren't really sure what to think of it. Fortunately, they are warming up to the idea though, and it gives me enough room to sit in there to be with them, so hopefully I can actually get to know them now besides scooping them out of the brooder and they cry in opposition.

I had to make a pretty tough decision today, that being that my rooster, Shaq has to be removed from his flock.

He's the friendliest rooster, I can pick him up as I please and he is perfectly calm, he has never been aggressive with me at all, even through his rough teenage years, but with the hens is a different story. I truly believe that he cares for them, he looks out for them and finds them food and breaks up their little spats, but he is MUCH too rough with them. All but one of my hens now have bare backs from him mounting them so frequently, the tops of their wings are also very red and irritated from his constant scratching.

I love Shaq, but it's so terrible to see what he's doing to my innocent hens, when he chases after them and plucks them.
sad.png

I know my hens will be more than happy without him, but I don't really want to get rid of him, I've grown so attached to him... but I certainly don't want my new hens to go through the same thing that my current ones are - especially prematurely.

I'm thinking about creating a separate run for him, I have the room, but I'm not sure if he would be alright by himself. I might try and reintroduce him later on to see if he will be any better. I don't want to give up on him just yet.

Thanks for reading! Pictures to come tomorrow!

Well, I have come down with extreme rooster paranoia... there are several of my chicks who I'm very very concerned for.

But besides that, I think that my chicks have officially reached their teenage stage! They're all losing fluff here and there, and have feathers popping up everywhere, and basically look like long, uncoordinated messes of fluff and feathers. Some of them have managed to maintain their beauty, surprisingly, such as the lovely Coriander. Well, anyhow, here are their 3 Week Old pictures!

For some reason, I CAN NOT get a good clear photo of Andromeda.
barnie.gif

I absolutely love the color that her feathers are coming in though, I'm hoping that she'll be a gorgeous blue-gray shade.

Bonquesha is one of my suspects for being a rooster. I've never had Salmon Faverolles before, so I'm not entirely sure how the cockerels and pullets feathering differently, but I'm not liking how Bonquesha is feathering in... the ones poking through on her shoulders just seem like way to dark of a shade of red for a hen, and I think she has some black-gray feathers coming in on her chest too. Don't do this to me Bonquesha!

Meanwhile, Coriander goes through the awkward stages to adulthood with grace. She has feather showing up everywhere, but they still manage to look shiny and smooth. I can't tell you how much I love her foot feathers! I can't get enough of them! Not to mention, Coriander is the sweetest little chick!
love.gif

I'm a little worried that Ivy here may be an Ivan as well. She hasn't shown any obvious signs of being a rooster yet, but she is feathering in painfully slowly compared to the other Cochins.
hmm.png

For some reason, Lily looks nothing like she does in her pictures that she does in person. She always looks kind of scruffy and crazy in her photos, while in person she is very pretty and calm.

Meringue has become such a love lately! She hangs around by me and peeps quietly until I pick her up to set her on my lap. She's stunning as well.
love.gif

Olive's feathers are coming in a similar shade to Andromeda's, which I'm very pleased about!

Ophelia, ohhh Ophelia. I have just a terrible feeling about her... Please don't be a roo
fl.gif

Don't tell the others, but Willow may be my favorite chick out this batch... I just love her personality and her looks.

I know this is a very blurry awful picture, but just look at the pattern coming in on her chest! Gah, I love it! I can't wait to see how she turns out.
love.gif

And now for some more fun pictures. I've recently discovered that a few of my chicks are terrified of flash. They get over after a few flashes, but I've gotten some hilarious pictures as a result!

Ivy has proven to be a pretty pathetic flyer!

Bonquesha had an impressive leap!

Ophelia is struggling a little more to get off the ground...

I just realized that all of the chicks I suspect of being cockerels are the ones who panicked at the flash. Eek, I'm not going to take this as a good sign. If they do turn out to be roosters, I guess that Shaq will get some company!

Over the weekend my dad constructed a coop and run for Shaq out of scrap wood, and it looks surprisingly nice! The coop is located near the Hen's Coop, so Shaq will still be able to talk to them and have some social interaction, but he won't be able to destroy their feathers any more. I moved him in there and he seems to be doing fairly well away from his hens. I'll snap some pictures of it tomorrow and formally introduce my rooster tomorrow!

And tomorrow my chicks will be a month old as well!
celebrate.gif

I am convinced Shaq will not be by himself for too long. I think it's safe to confirm Bonquesha is a cockerel by now. I'll probably post some pictures of him/her on this site for further discussion, just to be safe. I really need to think of a masculine version of the name Bonquesha now...

Fortunately things are looking up for Ophelia, she is now resembling more of an oddly colored Faverolles hen, I'm very interested to see how she'll turn out!

Thanks for reading!

Here's Shaq's new coop!

And the chicken himself!

The coop could really use a good paint job.

Shaq isn't sure how he feels about his new enclosure.

"This is not where I'm supposed to go."

I love Shaq's comb. I haven't seen another quite like it!

Shaq watches his girls from a distance.

Back
Top Bottom