Chicken comb flopped over, laid soft egg

asteria819

Chirping
May 2, 2019
TN
Hey all, last night before the girls went to bed we went outside and noticed there was a soft egg on the ground. We weren’t sure who did it, but we looked around and noticed one of the girl’s combs had flopped completely over. (she has a floppy comb usually, but it is completely down) I picked her up and a lot of clear fluid gushed out of her. About a minute later fluid came out again. She was acting like her normal self otherwise, but we were obviously concerned nonetheless. We eventually just let her go to bed and hoped for the best this morning.
So today her comb is still flopped over, i’m unsure about the fluid but I didn’t see any white fluid leaking from her so I don’t think it’s vent gleet. She did not lay today.

Any ideas about what’s going on? All the other girls and their eggs/egg shells are just fine. Thanks

Hey all, last night before the girls went to bed we went outside and noticed there was a soft egg on the ground. We weren’t sure who did it, but we looked around and noticed one of the girl’s combs had flopped completely over. (she has a floppy comb usually, but it is completely down) I picked her up and a lot of clear fluid gushed out of her. About a minute later fluid came out again. She was acting like her normal self otherwise, but we were obviously concerned nonetheless. We eventually just let her go to bed and hoped for the best this morning.
So today her comb is still flopped over, i’m unsure about the fluid but I didn’t see any white fluid leaking from her so I don’t think it’s vent gleet. She did not lay today.

Any ideas about what’s going on? All the other girls and their eggs/egg shells are just fine. Thanks
How old is she?
Can you post some photos? Is she pooping - what's that like?

Was the soft egg intact on the ground or was it broken? If the fluid was leaking from the vent, then the membrane may have broken while she was expelling the egg. Did you happen to open what she expelled?
The worry is that if not all is expelled or what was leaking from the vent was yolk or albumen, that can cause infection.
I would offer her some extra calcium for a couple of days. If she still has a discharge, then give her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath to help sooth her.
Let us know how she's doing.

How old is she?
Can you post some photos? Is she pooping - what's that like?

Was the soft egg intact on the ground or was it broken? If the fluid was leaking from the vent, then the membrane may have broken while she was expelling the egg. Did you happen to open what she expelled?
The worry is that if not all is expelled or what was leaking from the vent was yolk or albumen, that can cause infection.
I would offer her some extra calcium for a couple of days. If she still has a discharge, then give her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath to help sooth her.
Let us know how she's doing.

Hey! Thanks for your reply! She is right at 6 months old, just started laying last week or so. She was pooping like she normally was.

When we found the egg it was broken, but we weren’t sure if it was due to the impact onto the concrete or if it broke inside of her. We opened it and noticed something like a blood vessel. Yesterday her comb remained floppy but still pooping and acting like her normal self, no more fluid was leaking or expelled. We made sure she got plenty of water and did add some extra calcium for safe measure.
Her comb is back up looking so much better today though!! I am so thankful and relieved that she is okay. Thank you again for your response.

Hey! Thanks for your reply! She is right at 6 months old, just started laying last week or so. She was pooping like she normally was.

When we found the egg it was broken, but we weren’t sure if it was due to the impact onto the concrete or if it broke inside of her. We opened it and noticed something like a blood vessel. Yesterday her comb remained floppy but still pooping and acting like her normal self, no more fluid was leaking or expelled. We made sure she got plenty of water and did add some extra calcium for safe measure.
Her comb is back up looking so much better today though!! I am so thankful and relieved that she is okay. Thank you again for your response.
Glad she is doing better!
Since she's a new layer, it's not that uncommon to lay a soft shell or shell-less egg. Blood spots are fairly common too - this is when a tiny vessel ruptures during the laying process and is incorporated into the egg. Could have also been a vessel from the follicle as well.
I think the process of laying eggs daily or even every few days is just amazing. If you haven't read up on it, you may want to. The following link explains a lot, but I think the video is very well put together as well.
https://articles.extension.org/pages/65372/avian-reproductive-systemfemale

I'd like to know the breed of the pullet in question.
Almost all Mediterranean class breeds' hen combs are supposed to flop over.
This time of year, I wouldn't expect an egg every day regardless of age or breed.
I agree, photos would be nice,
Now...I do have a White Leghorn that began laying when she was 19wks of age - she laid an egg a day from August of 2017 through somewhere in July 2018 (even through winter!). She did not even molt last fall and has continued to lay an egg every other day for the rest of last year and this year! She looks ratty LOL She has finally slowed and lays about every 3 days now, I told her this morning....MOLT!!! :lau

I'd like to know the breed of the pullet in question.
Almost all Mediterranean class breeds' hen combs are supposed to flop over.
This time of year, I wouldn't expect an egg every day regardless of age or breed.
I don’t have any great pictures of her but here is one of her tonight with her comb back to its normal floppy :) her comb is generally pretty floppy, but after she laid the soft egg it completely flopped down and did not stand up at all which is abnormal for her. She’s an Austrawhite we think.

Attachments

• 272E5D34-B303-4618-8494-EE0FDAF61944.jpeg
    272E5D34-B303-4618-8494-EE0FDAF61944.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 7
I agree, photos would be nice,
Now...I do have a White Leghorn that began laying when she was 19wks of age - she laid an egg a day from August of 2017 through somewhere in July 2018 (even through winter!). She did not even molt last fall and has continued to lay an egg every other day for the rest of last year and this year! She looks ratty LOL She has finally slowed and lays about every 3 days now, I told her this morning....MOLT!!! :lau
I just posted a reply with a picture! Wow!! that girl was goin’ LOL

I don’t have any great pictures of her but here is one of her tonight with her comb back to its normal floppy :) her comb is generally pretty floppy, but after she laid the soft egg it completely flopped down and did not stand up at all which is abnormal for her. She’s an Austrawhite we think.

I just posted a reply with a picture! Wow!! that girl was goin’ LOL
Isn't she sweet! I love the comb too.
She should be a pretty good layer! I hope it's just a kink since she's a new layer.

Yes, my little W Leghorn just keeps on ticking LOL She's a tiny little thing compared to all my big 'ol layers, but she eats like horse! First girl out of the coop in the morning and will run you over to get to the feed:lol: (oh and she's got a lovely naturally floppy comb!)

Back
Top Bottom