Pickinhens

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
Has anyone been adding compost to their chicken pen during the summer? I've been adding compost material quite a bit and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with it.
I have some questions for those who do add compost:
Do you need to turn the compost? How often?
Do you keep it moist?
Is it best to keep raking it in a pile or should I let it stay spread out?
Thanks!

Are you asking about finished compost or the components of compost like grass clippings, weeds, and leaves to name a few things. I add those directly to my run to compost in place.

I'm asking about the components, I've been adding more lately because it really keeps them busy and engaged.

Let the chickens turn it. They should be scratching in it a lot.

Do you keep it moist?

For the bugs and microbes that turn it into compost to live and reproduce it needs to be slightly damp. You do not want it wet, that can be unhealthy, but they do need a little moisture.

If you rake it up they'll just spread it out again. Just keep adding stuff and let them sort it out.

Has anyone been adding compost to their chicken pen during the summer? I've been adding compost material quite a bit and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with it.
I have some questions for those who do add compost:

We let the chickens turn it.

Do you keep it moist?

Even though our run has a solid roof, enough rain blows in to keep it moist enough to decompose.

We just strew it around.
Thanks!

We do a complete clean-out each spring and till it into the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 5
I'm asking about the components, I've been adding more lately because it really keeps them busy and engaged.

My whole run is compost material. Much of my yard waste and leaves go in it.

If you search the forums for "deep litter run" you'll get plenty of hits as this method of cold composting and manure management is pretty popular with many members.

Great, thank y'all for all the advice, just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom