Chicken coop build 8’ x 20’

Pics
Floor installed. We used 1/2” HDPE. There’s 12” to the pop door and egg hutches from the floor. We’ll make a perch for the egg hutches and a small step to the pop door. We plan to line the 12” on the sides with 1/4” HDPE.

D9A5F254-E4A1-42F1-BC8B-1F26B74DA701.jpeg

I'm about 30 minutes from Portland. We probably get snow once or twice a year. It doesn't stick around for long. Most of the time in the winter we are above freezing.

As far as wind goes, we live on the river. The wind blows pretty good sometimes from east to west or vice versa. If it blows from east to west, the trees will buffer the wind. If it blows from west to east, the long side of the coop facing our home will take the wind. Landscaping with trees in that area is our next project, but those won't be big enough for a few years to do much.

View attachment 3227506
they make netting to pu up on cow barns to break the wind.
It is by far healthier for the cattle than being in a barn under those conditions.

Should we put the auto door for the pop door in the run portion of the coop or inside the coop?
Auto door normally goes on the coop, letting them into the run. However, I rarely close my pop door. My coop/run is totally predator proof. It only gets closed during extreme cold and windy conditions during the winter when they just don't want to come outside anyway.

Auto door normally goes on the coop, letting them into the run. However, I rarely close my pop door. My coop/run is totally predator proof. It only gets closed during extreme cold and windy conditions during the winter when they just don't want to come outside anyway.

Sorry. I probably didn’t word that correctly. Which side of pop door would you install the auto door? 950E67CC-3D7C-40C5-BC0A-54418F7FB88A.jpeg C045193F-3A3C-4723-9158-DD127FC5C791.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom