Chicken/Coop Cam

I had a camera in my coop for a few years. It was wired and had a great picture and infrared. I even had a 25 inch chicken tv next to our regular tv in the living room and watched it all the time.
The buried cable got cut in the yard so I stopped using it.

I recently got a wireless camera but the picture was bad and there was a buzzing noise from interference of 2.4 ghz cordless phone. I ended up sending the camera back.

We have a wireless camera with infrared that I've used by the chicken run a few times. It doesn't stay connected to our home network for long when it is IN the coop (too far away). I don't leave it outside if the weather looks like rain because it is not protected (YET!). It is really cool to be able to watch the chickens during the day, but at night it is pretty boring considering they SLEEP! LOL! The next item on my Honey Do list is setting up the wireless cam for permanency! I am waiting until he is completely done with the chicken coop before I spring that one on him!
tongue.png

I'll have to ask my hubby about the camera details as he is the techy in this house, not me!

Quote:
I was looking for security camera info.. posting this link was cruel!!! Do you know how many cams I have open on my desktop!! We watched one colt born tonight after at least 24 hours of cams running and missing like 7 births. That is one dangerous site!!! And I still do not know which camera to get. Gotta run my computer is neighing at me!! Something is going to happen!!

Last edited:
The simple but pricey way would be to get a wireless IP camera. No need for a dedicated computer. They usually have the hardware and software to run a built-in web interface. Connect wirelessly to your wireless router and forward its port and you can log on from any machine in the house or on the web. You could view it from things like the ipod touch too (just got my wife one for her bday---it's great) With additional software you can capture and record, using motion detection too. Getting a good balance of high and low light performance would require some research. I might do this myself and I would post the results but I probably won't do it for a while.

It still needs power but if it uses dc you might be able to rig up a rechargeable battery pack if you don't have ac handy.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ip+camera&aq=0s&oq=wirless+ip+camera&aqi=g-s1

You could start here.

I just thought of this, my brother has one of those game cams u put in the woods. would that work for in the coop? Then it wouldnt waste power at night either as it only captures movement I believe... hmmm

Prolly, but I think those only take snapshots and I don't know if you can view the photos any other way than to connect them via usb.

I want a live feed myself. I want to watch the action in real time from anywhere I have an internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom